Aperture

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by OHcorgis, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Is anyone using Aperture on a non Intel Mac? I downloaded a trial to use on a PowerMac G5/1.6 GHz/3GB RAM/300 GB drive.

The application is painfully slow/rendering is slow. I did get one photo nicely edited, but it had already been edited in Photoshop, got some improvement in sharpness with Aperture. Tried an unedited RAW photo and just gave up.

I am wondering if my older Mac cannot handle this program. If it runs well for other on Intel Macs, I will consider it when I upgrade in the fall.

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Aperture uses the graphics processor quite a bit more than Photoshop or Lightroom, so the video card you have will make quite a bit of difference. It will almost certainly run better on a new Mac.

Download the Lightroom trial and give it a try also when you have a chance.

Cheers

3. Thanks Peter. My desktop does not have a super graphics card. From the behavior, I think you hit the problem on the head. I will try lightroom. Thank goodness Photoshop CS3 works fine on my old machine.