Apex 2007 (Outdoor Rave)

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by lexiticus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Ok this isn't the typical subject matter I see on here, But I find it more fitting than the People Board, So here are some pics!

Little bit of background info first, This is a large Rave event (7000+ people) that happens once a year on the Popkum Indian Reserve Just outside Chilliwack (B.C.). It had 15 different Stages this year and ran for 12 hours (8:00 PM to 8:00 AM) Alcohol wasn't allowed in, but as usuall for a Rave there was still tons of Ecstacy and Pot (easy to Smuggle in).

I was there from about 10:00 PM to 5:30 AM, I wasn't paid to take pics, I just do it for fun! Its basically the worst lighting conditions you can think of, Combined with constantly moving subjects, And the impracticallity of having an external flash (Size and bulk, It would get broken really quick!) Makes it one of the most fun events to take pics of!
    MY gear was a D50, with a Sigma 24mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.8. I don't think I stopped down once, Shutter speeds are around 1/40 (1/80 on strobe lit stages, and lucky timing) To around 1/2 (Flash with burn in).
    The Flash onboard the D50 has no useable manual settings in these conditions so it was constantly set to -3.0 EV. ISO 1600 for the entire night.

So anyway, heres a bunch of pics I thought were interesting enough to post.
    DSC_9124_filtered.

DSC_9191_filtered.

DSC_9198_filtered.

DSC_9220_filtered.

DSC_9255_filtered.

DSC_9280_filtered.

Combination of 2 different pictures, I liked how it turned out, A little tall right now but I might crop it later.
    DSC_9287_filtered.

DSC_9325_filtered.

2. Continued...

DSC_9356_filtered.

DSC_9370_filtered.

DSC_9435_filtered.

DSC_9443_filtered.

DSC_9448_filtered.

DSC_9467_filtered.

DSC_9588_filtered.

I did this shot like this on purpose, Still undecided on how it turned out.
    DSC_9592_filtered.

Anyway, Theres a ton of pics! Sorry I like the vertical orientation a lot! Makes the posts harder to view I know.
    Critique's are welcome aswell, But its generally a matter of making the best of a bad situation, rather than having a lot of control.

A few more comments, The 24mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens, But it is difficult to use in this situation because it has serious flare and ghosting issues (even with the hood on). The 50mm f1.8 is better for quality shots ,but handholding it is difficult because of the slow shutter speeds. AND it is next to impossible to get enough distance from a subject to keep more than 1/4 of their body in the frame.
    My friend had the Sigma 30mm f1.4, and it is except for the slightly less angle of view, a much better lens for this situation. Next time I will have a 50mm f1.4 at my disposal so Hopefully that will help!

Lastly, Rave's are amazing for having good looking people at them, Dancing for 8 hours on E or other drugs will do wonders for weight loss, And the dress code at them usually involves minimal clothing. I don't condone the drug use obviously but Its definitely an attractive crowd to shoot!

3. Great photographs! Really! Amazingly I see only one water bottle! Again, beautiful, thanks for sharing... looks like a great time was had.

4. Wow, you have a great series of images here. Several in the group impress me and would make neat poster sized prints. Well done for sure.

5. I see 2 actually :) (last and 3rd last pics)
    Suprisingly clean kept stages, I think it was because they switched DJ's every 2 hours so keeping the front clean was probably just practical. (keep your own equipment to yourself etc)

Thanks for the comments, Its really tough getting keepers in this sort of lighting, but thats what makes it soo much fun! August 31st i'll get a chance to try again (indoors at a club though).

Just got my 50mm f1.4, Will probably only take that, and possibly swap the 30mm f1.4 with my friend for a bit aswell. (We both go with D50's)

6. Ahhh... I did miss that one! Man I can't stop going back to the close up hand on mixer shot. Nice about the 50/1.4, I'm looking forward to the next series!

7. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Kelowna

Strange name for a wild place!
    I stomped around Kelowna, for a while it is beautiful.
    Wonderful series of photos here, btw!

8. bunimoo

bunimoo

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    very interesting....quite a few of them i really liked in this series..keep up the good work!