Critique Apothic Red Wine

It's rare that I buy wine only because I want to photograph it but that was the situation with this wine.

Setup
The tabletop and background are separate sheets of the same red poster board. The background was close enough to the subject that light reflected off it outlined the glass in its red tones.

Capture #1: A medium continuous-light lamp that was high and on the left lit the foil. That foil was moved to Capture #2.

Capture #2: The overall scene was lit by the medium lamp on the left at the level of the tabletop and facing a white wall behind the camera that redirected the light onto the scene. A black flag also on the left between the lamp and the scene allowed just enough of the lamp's light to directly fall onto the left side of the wine labels and onto the two bright areas of the tabletop. The bright area around the bottle's shoulders and sides is a lighting effect from Boris FX Optics that emulates use of a gobo.

Mike 2020-10-28--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
It's rare that I buy wine only because I want to photograph it but that was the situation with this wine.
I don't blame you. I tried that wine once on recommendation of a friend, but I didn't care for it.

The colors and lighting work well, but the bottle is not sharply outlined...looks fuzzy around the edges like the blending of two images didn't quite line up. But maybe that was your intent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Jim!

I tried that wine once on recommendation of a friend, but I didn't care for it.
I actually have no idea whether I'll like it. Your reaction to it doesn't seem promising.

the bottle is not sharply outlined...looks fuzzy around the edges like the blending of two images didn't quite line up. But maybe that was your intent.
My hunch is that you don't like the style of outlining the glass with the red tones of the background. It's not the same effect as outlining it with bright, white light or of not outlining it at all. But as you can see from the 100% crop, it's not fuzzy.

Mike 2020-10-28--0003-Crop.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim!

I actually have no idea whether I'll like it. Your reaction to it doesn't seem promising.

My hunch is that you don't like the style of outlining the glass with the red tones of the background. It's not the same effect as outlining it with bright, white light reflecting the light source from behind. But as you can see from the 100% crop, it's not fuzzy.

View attachment 1673006
O.K. I misinterpreted the lighter band around the edge. Mea culpa.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Love the photo. Apothich would probably love to use it for advertising;).
I like the way the edge of the bottle looks. The lighting effect is stellar.

Also, my wife and I both absolutely love this wine and buy it frequently.
So there are two votes in favor. (y)

Very effective lighting, Mike. Agree this is a product shot you would see in print mag. As for the taste, it is one of those shareable wines for quaffing not necessarily fine dining. Good value if you like the taste.

I like the image Mike. But as soon as I saw the outlining I said to myself that 'how would it look if outlined with Mike's usual bright white light'. May be it would look more natural I don't know...(n)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
'how would it look if outlined with Mike's usual bright white light'
I actually considered that lighting method but decided against it because I wanted to emphasize the red tones. Some day I might get around to photographing it outlined with a bright white tone. Until then, we'll never know which style we prefer.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I haven't tried it yet. I plan to use it to make a favorite lamb stew and am waiting until the weather gets colder for such a big, heavy dish. Before I dump the entire bottle into the pot, I'll first taste a bit of it out of a glass.
It should be fine as a cooking wine! ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom