Applauding the Tamaqua (Pennsylvania) Area School District

For once, someone did the right thing. The TASD was under strict orders to not let this guy infringe on the rights of the paid, professional, and contracted photographers at their 2014 graduation ceremonies. As we all know, freebies, like this guy gives away, hurt the professionals whom are trying to maintain a business and feed their families.

Of course he is upset and offended. And of course the community is as well. Now I don't do professional work anymore as I simply don't have the time being that I'm a full time truck driver, but I'm so glad that some folks "get it", and realize that for some, photography is a business and a career, not a hobby.

Here is a link to the story:
http://tamaquaarea.wordpress.com/20...-my-free-complete-coverage-of-the-graduation/

Here is my response to all the Facebook complainers:
You ALL have it wrong. Those people whom are professionals (and who likely have contracts or other agreements) are trying to run a business and provide an income for their families through photography, which happens to be a CAREER and a BUSINESS. When someone comes in and gives away free, "professional" photographs, they are taking money away from their business, and their families. For that, I agree with Tamaqua limiting photographers on the field/stage to the working professionals. How would you all like it if you ran a business, and I came in, set up shop on the sidewalk, and gave away for free what you were trying to sell? Would you be happy if I took away 50 percent of your business by giving away your product?

At the same time, how is giving something away for free different than undercutting your competition with a 50% off sale? I give away computer advice and service all the time. Am I hurting the computer repair industry as a whole or am I simply helping out a few people that can't afford a new computer?

Does it hurt photography as a profession? Sure
If someone wants to donate time and money to a specific cause should they be restricted from doing so? I don't believe so. That's their decision and their right to spend their money/time how they choose.

If the individual was in the way or not being courteous to the paid professionals then that's a different story, but after reading his editorial, I don't get that impression from him.

The event is on the property of the School board. The school board is able to decide who is allowed in areas that are not generally open to the public such as the graduation stage.

No one stopped the person from taking photos in the public area. They just prevented him from having access to what I presume was a restricted area (on or around the stage) as they do with probably several hundred parents/family members and friends. I am sure they hire a paid photographer to shoot pictures to help manage the issue of several hundred people wanting the best position to shoot their child from. This guy wasn't hired by the school so they moved him along.

Love all the comments that parents would pay him and then is a paid professional and can shoot. Not how it works I'm afraid.

cheers
wembley

After taking a quick and random look at his 2013 archive I can see why the "pros" feel threatened. I'm not saying his work is good or bad, but he did take the effort to interact with most of the people he shot and they look like they felt comfortable with him. Had the "pros" put forth half his effort they wouldn't have to resort to these underhanded actions. And I'm betting the "pros" sales haven't increased in 2014. This might be a wakeup call for him and he might want to start charging to get a taste of the business. I'm a firm believer if a photographer's work is good it stands on its own merit and it gets sold. Sorry, I smell sour grapes here.

I got an idea that the [school board] did not pay for the school, the land, or the flag poll. I just got my stinking tax bill and 70.70% is school tax! Im 62 and do not have or have ever had any kids in school. I say let the man shoot! Its a "public" school! Not a cash cow for the few.

This story was floating around last year, right after graduation. Lots of folks on each side of the issue. Personally, I see no reason or need to "protect" the business of some pro photographer. If his/her work is good, people will buy it. Not sure why the School Board, which should represent the students and parents, feels a need to protect somebodies' business. I can understand controlling access if it is a safety issue (you can't have all of the parents of all of the students on stage). However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. This comes across (to me) as nepotism.

I understand that professionals are upset by photographers that give away free images and undercut their profit. The truth is that the business of photography is changing, and has been ever since digital photography became common. Look at all of the print media organizations that have fired their staff photographers because they can get adequate (not necessarily good) photographs from cheaper sources. Wedding photographers have to compete with the "uncle with a good camera".

Regardless of what happens in this particular case in this particular school district, the nature of photography has changed and successful pro photographers have found a way to overcome, adapt, and change as required to set themselves apart.

I got an idea that the [school board] did not pay for the school, the land, or the flag poll. I just got my stinking tax bill and 70.70% is school tax! Im 62 and do not have or have ever had any kids in school. I say let the man shoot! Its a "public" school! Not a cash cow for the few.

A public school does not means that the 'public' has rights to go where they please.

He was not contracted with the school. End of story. The school (or school board) control what/who and how they do business.
This is no different to many other business contracts.
His quality of work has nothing to do with it.
His ability to interact and make students feel comfortable has nothing to do with it.
Protecting pros or the changing nature of pro photography has nothing to do with it.
Nepotism has nothing to do with it.
The contracted photographers could have been chosen for any of the following reasons (and I am sure they are chosen for all these reasons around the country) ; first to ask or offer, longstanding relationship with school/schools/organizations, father/mother of a student, uncle/aunt of a student, has a really nice website, gives 20% back to the school boosters, is the best friend of the AD/Principal/math teacher, is the AD/Principal/math teacher or gives everyone free prints.
He was not contracted with the school. End of story! The school (or school board) control what/who and how they do business.

Now I'm a pretty good painter and lots of my friends like my work when i have painted their living rooms. The town hall needs painting and I don't like the color chosen of the contracted painters, so I am going to stop by after work and help them out and paint the other side of the building in blue. The town council should be happy too as I'm not charging them and the shade of blue I've chosen matches the town's motif nicely.

cheers
wembley

Real Name
John
Well, I think this guy is just stirring things up. It looks pretty clear to me that he messed up a lot of the pros photos from the years past. There are a few photos of the kids looking into his camera instead on the stage - on top of that, the flash will really wreck photos... Imagine hundreds of kids that need to directed to the right camera.

The quality of the professionals photos should make them sell. People who only want free aren't going to pay regardless...

One wonders if the school had contracts with the 'pro' photographers or not. If there were no business relationships then I don't see how the school could justify banning him just because he was not charging a fee.

I've been at public events shooting pics of my own kid and received rude comments and treatment from 'professional' photographers. Some seem to think they have exclusive rights. They are entitled to earn a living but some attitudes are not helpful.

Last edited:
The state of PA has school districts at a very local level - within counties. I don't live there but my sister does and my parents did from 84 to 2001 until the died. The districts can be very political - for most of the state these kind of jobs are highly sought after. Parts of PA are notorious for side deals and paybacks - see this story about a judge who sentenced juveniles to a detention center that provided him with kickbacks -- http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/film-details-teens-struggles-in-state-detention-in-payoff-scandal/ or this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Tamaqua is in a very depressed area of the state - part rust belt, part old mining areas. It is a hard place to make a living. I am sure there are hard feelings galore and both sides have good intentions. We may never know either side of the story in this case but it is getting harder and harder to eek out an existence or hide deceitful practices......imho.

I fully agree with everything you say! I'm from the camp of letting this guy do his thing because it benefits everyone. If there are any insecure "pro" shooters out there they will have to learn how to deliver a better product at a fair price. And yes, you can compete with "free" if you deliver a decent product.

As for school tax, I've lived in Maryland the past 30 years and been paying it. The sad part is I never got my monies worth out of it. We've had our son in public school for a couple years and found it to be so sub-par and dismal that we had to put him in private school and pay the tuition ourselves. Looking back, it was the best investment we ever made!!

The state of PA has school districts at a very local level - within counties. I don't live there but my sister does and my parents did from 84 to 2001 until the died. The districts can be very political - for most of the state these kind of jobs are highly sought after. Parts of PA are notorious for side deals and paybacks - see this story about a judge who sentenced juveniles to a detention center that provided him with kickbacks -- http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/film-details-teens-struggles-in-state-detention-in-payoff-scandal/ or this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Tamaqua is in a very depressed area of the state - part rust belt, part old mining areas. It is a hard place to make a living. I am sure there are hard feelings galore and both sides have good intentions. We may never know either side of the story in this case but it is getting harder and harder to eek out an existence or hide deceitful practices......imho.

What you say is true! I was born in NE Pa and what you say is what I've seen first hand. I had to get out of Pa for better career opportunities. Left in the 80s and haven't looked back!:)

School Boards are the root of the problem.
They have an incredibly important job to do and boards are usually staffed by non-professionals (volunteers with time on their hands) who have ZERO business experience.
We need school boards that can run a school district like a business -- professional educators and money managers -- dispense with all this BS....

School Boards are the root of the problem.
They have an incredibly important job to do and boards are usually staffed by non-professionals (volunteers with time on their hands) who have ZERO business experience.
We need school boards that can run a school district like a business -- professional educators and money managers -- dispense with all this BS....
Ok. Really off OP topic but look at this from where I live supposedly wealthy county
Loudoun considering charging for school bus transportation.
http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/c...740-6ab4-11e4-833d-834bccdfcc11.html?mode=jqm

Real Name
John
So how many people should be allowed to photograph on stage at graduation? Should it look like a movie star walking out in public? Maybe the school had others that said, "why is he allowed up there and I'm not..." Where do you draw the line? Should the local newspaper, county paper etc all be there too?

He was allowed to take photos just not anywhere...

So how many people should be allowed to photograph on stage at graduation? Should it look like a movie star walking out in public? Maybe the school had others that said, "why is he allowed up there and I'm not..." Where do you draw the line? Should the local newspaper, county paper etc all be there too?

He was allowed to take photos just not anywhere...

Unfortunately the "anywhere" is the school property.

Latest threads

Top Bottom