Apple 24" LED display or.... ?

if I am considering purchasing an apple 24" LED display what else is in the same class? preferably cheaper. otherwise I may just spring for the apple display this week.

I hear that it is hard to calibrate this monitor? and that it is extremely bright therefore hard to calibrate?

anyone use one?

looking for suggestions!

thanks

I think you will find the brightness problem with any LCD that you choose, at least that's what I have found with my Samsung monitors.

I really like the DELL series. I have an old 2007WFP but will get a 2408WFP soon.

I would never buy a dell computer, but their monitors are pretty darn good.

2408 and HP LP2475W are the other ones I'm considering.
both cheaper than the apple display

I'm in the same boat right now of selecting new monitors for my photography and I'm trying to stay on a budget because I sitll have to save up for a few more lenses!

I missed the opportunity to get the 2408WFP on the dell.com site @ $395 but I'd pay for it in gas and duties bringing back across the border. Also had a 1 day sale on it here where 1 lucky person snagged one up for $399 + taxes (wasn't at the computer to try and *win* it). Finally went to the Apple store last night to look at their 24" LED display which was beside their 30" LED. Hands down the photos *looked* crisper on the 24" but the glare in the store was really distracting. Downside is the $1000 pricetag on the 24", or $700 on the refurb store.

With that said though I thought I would check out the other competition Eizo, Lacie, NEC, etc and stumbled across this:

http://www.hdtvreview.com/news/2009/08/05/nec-releases-ea231wmi-bk-hd-monitortv/

Just released by NEC is a 23" IPS display for roughly $400 with a good selection of inputs. it may not be a king of inputs like the 2408WFP which is a VA type panel, nor does it have firewire like the LED display, but I'm sure it will find its place on many desks as it has DVI, VGA, Displayport, speakers, headset input, and a hub hub built in. Perhaps another monitor to throw into the mix of choices. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking one of these up since I don't have to wait for it to be on sale for it to be somewhat affordable.

i purchased the 24" LED display from apple refurbished so we'll see how it is with my new MBP!

now i should get some calibration software......money pit!

that NEC monitor looks pretty good and is something to keep in mind definitely.

wow this monitor is BRIGHT
and i can't even figure out how to turn the brightness down!

I'm pretty sure on the right hand side of the monitor are two soft buttons to adjust the brightness accordingly. While in the Apple Store I was looking at it with one of the "knowledgeable" staff members and they were like "oh so that's where it is! I had a customer ask about that the other day and because else was using it I couldn't look".

Not to make fun of Apple store employees, but I think that's one thing that a lot of these kids (I'm not that much older) lack, is product knowledge and training. Other people are looking to you guys to be the experts at what you're selling.

/rant

I just rechecked the availability for the NEC and the distributors here in Canada I can get them from have pushed it as far back as next November lol. That being said I'll probably be biting the bullet and ordering one or maybe two Dell 2408WFP's if I can't get an IPS based monitor in the next couple of months.

Real Name
Bill
Try going to the Apple menu (top left corner of screen) and go to System Preferences. You should find Displays there. Open it and there should be a brightness adjustment.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom