Apple Announcements 9/12

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. I am surprised there is no action in this area with today's announcements.

1. No new watch for me - the first generation is good enough. I like GPS but I have that on Fitbit and Garmin watches already.

2. iPhone X - yes. I already have made plans to give my 7 plus to my wife and give her 6s plus to one of our sons. I hope Face recognition works well.

2. Since the keynote and the big event hasn't even occurred yet, people are waiting to see what the actual announcements will be. As I always do I'll be following the keynote via streaming on the Apple website..... Apple

The action starts at 10:00 AM (Pacific Time) in Cupertino at the new Steve Jobs Theatre on the campus of the huge new Apple Park. I'm hoping we'll get a video tour of that amazing place, including the "spaceship" which is its main feature. According to the rumors I've been seeing on MacRumors, there will be a lot of announcements and updates, including both hardware and software. iOS 11 and High Sierra (MacOS) will finally be ready for prime time and there will be new versions of the Apple watch as well as of course the iPhone, with three models of the latter this time. There may also be some news about Apple TV and more, too.....

Macrumors is live-blogging this year's event, too:
    Live Coverage of Apple's iPhone X Event at Steve Jobs Theater

I also usually follow The Verge, too, as they always live-blog and provide photos. The Verge

ETA: I'm on the Verge website now and they've got some photos of the Apple Park Visitor Center and of the Steve Jobs Theatre..... WOW! They're inside now, making their way to their seats in the theatre proper.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. Well I am being patient waiting for my D850. I guess I will have to be the same waiting for an iPhone X. Preordering doesn’t start till October 27.

4. Wow, that was an interesting keynote!

Allan, you might want to change the title of this thread so it more accurately reflects what the topic actually is..... :)

In the meantime, for anyone interested, here are the various dates for software updates and quick summary of other info:

iOS 11 -- 09/19

Apple Watch OS 4 -- 09/19

Apple TV 4 -- 09/19

macOS ("High Sierra") -- 09/25

---------

Device Availability:

Apple TV 4K -- Preorders begin 09/15, Launch Day 09/22

Apple Watch Series 3 comes available with cellular or without cellular, has various new bands including Nike and Hermes -- Preorders begin 09/15, Launch Day 09/22

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus -- Preorders begin 09/15, Launch Day 09/22

iPhone X (pronounced "ten," for those who had been wondering) -- Preordering begins 10/27 and Launch Day 11/03

---------

iPhone 8 comes in three colors (gold, space grey and silver) and in two capacities (64 GB and 256 GB), from $699

iPhone 8 Plus comes in the same three colors and two capacities, from $799.00

iPhone X comes in space grey and silver, 64 GB and 256 GB, from $999.00.

5. So the number of the phone is basically the cost in $100s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LOL, that's one way to look at it...... :)

7. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Well I didn't watch the video, but from what I'm hearing so far it seems like a snooze fest. I'll have to see when I take a better look at what they announced today.

8. I need nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 50-100

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry couldn't help myself. :p:p:p

10. I have the 50-100. I'm talking fruit stuff :rolleyes: - my 2-3 year old 5s died and ATTs insurance replaced it with a 6s w/ twice the storage. for $70. My iPad mini was stolen 18 months ago and I replaced it with an Ipad Air 2. Don't need a watch; my MBP is playing well. Now, about that D850 . . . . .:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. It's the first time I don't have the urge to buy a new iPhone. Maybe I am getting old.

I will probably get the Watch 3 though.

12. To add insult to injury, apparently Apple has now raised the prices on their latest iPads. Wow, I'm glad I bought my iPad Pro 10.5 when I did!

Most of the long-time members here know what an Apple junkie I have been since 2005..... Well, I have to admit that at the conclusion of today's keynote, I looked over at my beautiful jet black iPhone 7 Plus and said, "baby, we're going to be hanging out together for another year!" I just could not get excited about the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus and as far as I can see there are too many new things about the iPhone X which are concerning..... I'd just as soon let things settle down and any bugs get worked out over the next little while and maybe next year I'll be more ready to head to the store for a new purchase.....

Apple TV? Not interested.

Apple Watch? My current Series 0 (first-generation) is still going along just fine so I don't feel any pressing need to replace it with one of the new models, nor do I feel any urgency about having cellular data on the thing. Thankfully one does have a choice and so I would probably opt for no cellular data. However, as a retiree and a senior citizen, I realize that in a lot of ways my needs and desires are going to be different than those of many of the audience Apple is undoubtedly targeting.

It's kind of sad when the things in which I was most interested were in the beginning of the event (video of the new Apple campus and Steve Jobs Theatre, plus a tribute to Steve himself) and the dates of the various software updates that will be coming for the devices I already own and use.....

13. On a serious note the phones are wearing thin and jacking the cost makes them even less interesting.

I have an Air 2 and a Watch 2 and a 7 plus. I'm good for a couple years more at least. Apple has enough of my money.

14. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    Just keep working, my iPhone 5, iPad Air 2 and Mac Pro 4.1 that thinks its a 5.1....just.keep.working

15. Thom Hogan's column today compares the Apple announcements with those from Sony. He says the Sony folks looked amateurish by comparison. He also has some interesting comments on the technology in the Apple products.

16. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    I might have AAS, or is it ****? Apple Acquisition Syndrome. Now that I know the language and learned what NAS stood for watch out.

I used to have an excuse to get every new iPhone due to my day job and it was provided but have a different role now. Yet like my photography passion that “made” me order a D850, I will probably get the 8+. Ironically, my 2-month-old MacBook Pro just bricked today and I need to get a replacement. Yes, I have a current iPad. Still, my main editing workstation is a DIY Windows machine.

17. As my daughter so aptly reminded me, perhaps we are no longer the target demographic!

18. That might one of the few commentaries of his that I agree with. Yikes, I'm getting old :eek:

19. As for "getting old", NY Times had this in an article today (Feeling Older? Here’s How to Embrace It):

"What is ‘old’?

Most people wouldn’t say that a 38-year-old qualifies, but once you pass the median age of 37.8, you may statistically be considered “old,” said Tom Ludwig, emeritus professor of psychology at Hope College in Holland, Mich.

Studies show that people start feeling old in their 60s, and a Pew Research Center survey found that nearly 3,000 respondents said 68 was the average age at which old age begins."

Well, I've got a year of my youth left!:happy:

20. Damn. To quote the late comic/philosopher Don Adams, "Missed it by THAT much."