Apple Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad

This weekend I took yet another step towards becoming a total Apple Geek :eek::biggrin: . I bought a Bluetooth Apple keyboard for my iPad 2 when I stopped by my local Apple store.
Seriously, this thing is great! I had bought a keyboard dock for my first iPad last year and frankly, I never really used it. It works just as well, but the ergonomics don't do it for me.
Since getting this little BT keyboard I seem to be using it all the time. The flexibility to physically hang around any way you like and just adjust the positioning of the iPad and keyboard accordingly is awesome.
Using it with the iPad horizontally is also much better.

Highly recommended!

(this message is done as I hang out on the couch after dinner with the iPad and this nifty keyboard).

I use one with my iMac, but haven't ever paired it with my iPad. If you do a lot of typing, I can definitely see it being a benefit.

Make sure that you turn the keyboard off if you pack it next to the iPad and have a password lock on your iPad.

Actually......take the batteries out when transporting somewhere; last year I was going on a trip with a friend and packed the iPad and the BT keyboard together in a bag. I made sure the keyboard was shut off. That evening, at the friend's house, where we were staying prior to an early-morning departure, I reached into the bag to grab the iPad to do some catching up with forums and such, and was surprised to see the green light on the keyboard flashing. Huh? I'd turned it off.... Well, turns out that it had inadvertently gotten turned back on. Needless to say this will wear down both the battery in the iPad and the batteries in the BT keyboard pretty quick if one goes for hours and doesn't notice that this has happened. Before we left on the trip I slipped the batteries out of the keyboard and that way I didn't have to worry. When we got where we were going and I wanted to use the iPad i had plenty of "juice" in it and if I'd wanted to use the keyboard it would have taken just seconds to pop the batteries back in.

Why and why?
Ha ha. There's a good reason for this - I watched it happen to a friend while we were traveling.

Because the keyboard wasn't off, when it got bumped against something in his bag it "woke up" the iPad. So the iPad asks for his password. Since the keyboard has something pressing against it, it just starts entering random letters/numbers/spaces. "Incorrect password." Again, and again, and again.

After several times of this an iPad "security" feature kicks in - you can't access the iPad for 15 minutes, then 30. Since all of this is happening in his bag, he has no idea what's going on. When he finally pulls the iPad out it's completely locked down. The only way to open it is to sync it with his computer. Except he didn't bring the computer on the trip - that's why he brought the iPad. Unfortunately, the iPad was totally useless the entire trip.

All because the keyboard was accidentally still on.

Actually......take the batteries out when transporting somewhere; last year I was going on a trip with a friend and packed the iPad and the BT keyboard together in a bag. I made sure the keyboard was shut off. That evening, at the friend's house, where we were staying prior to an early-morning departure, I reached into the bag to grab the iPad to do some catching up with forums and such, and was surprised to see the green light on the keyboard flashing. Huh? I'd turned it off.... Well, turns out that it had inadvertently gotten turned back on. Needless to say this will wear down both the battery in the iPad and the batteries in the BT keyboard pretty quick if one goes for hours and doesn't notice that this has happened. Before we left on the trip I slipped the batteries out of the keyboard and that way I didn't have to worry. When we got where we were going and I wanted to use the iPad i had plenty of "juice" in it and if I'd wanted to use the keyboard it would have taken just seconds to pop the batteries back in.
Ha ha. There's a good reason for this - I watched it happen to a friend while we were traveling.

Because the keyboard wasn't off, when it got bumped against something in his bag it "woke up" the iPad. So the iPad asks for his password. Since the keyboard has something pressing against it, it just starts entering random letters/numbers/spaces. "Incorrect password." Again, and again, and again.

After several times of this an iPad "security" feature kicks in - you can't access the iPad for 15 minutes, then 30. Since all of this is happening in his bag, he has no idea what's going on. When he finally pulls the iPad out it's completely locked down. The only way to open it is to sync it with his computer. Except he didn't bring the computer on the trip - that's why he brought the iPad. Unfortunately, the iPad was totally useless the entire trip.

All because the keyboard was accidentally still on.
LOL, I can just imagine those. Thanks for the explanation - and warning! :tongue:

Latest posts

Top Bottom