1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Apple computer shopping question

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Hartawan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Hartawan

Hartawan Guest

I posted under the general section and havent gotten one feedback, maybe this is the better section.

Hello folks. I think it is about time to buy myself a new computer. The computer im using to type this thread is about 4-5 years old!
    Heres the spec:
    Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM
    Duo Core
    I am not in any bit a computer pro. I have heard a lot about the Macbook Pro and I am sure considering it. I do have some questions though.
    1. I hear that their monitors are consistent/accurate in terms of color, truth?
    2. If I do get the MBP, I should get the 2.5GHz instead of the 2.4GHz? or 2.4GHz and max out the memory?
    3. I currently do not have a laptop, should I even consider getting an iMac over the MBP?

2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure of the memory levels but 2.5/2gb vs 2.4/4gb would seem to favor the 4gb memory option for only .1ghz hit. Good luck with your shopping.

3. There are always trade offs. I've switched to the Mac environment a couple years ago(although must still use a PC laptop for work), and I have a MBPro, and a Power Mac. My daughter has the MacBook.

I like them all, clearly the MBP gives you some flexibility in travel which is what I use it for primarily, my Power Mac is used for most of the photo processing (and other things), with a 23" Apple display. I like the display quite a bit, but there are certainly other good options in the same price range or less. Others can give you there experiences. The good news is you have choice.

I chose to not worry too much about processor speed(and I don't regret this decision), but rather made sure I loaded up (with aftermarket) memory. I've got 2GB on the MBP and 8GB on the Power Mac. Both run just great....I don't run PhotoShop on the MBP so can't give you any real experience there with the 2GB.

Ted

4. Hey Tommy -

Here are a few of my thoughts and opinions. Any differences between a 2.5- and 2.4 GHz processor speed would be insignificant compared to either the computer's bus speed or the amount of its installed RAM - I'd say go for the RAM.

Apple's monitors do have a widely-held reputation for being "consistent/accurate in terms of color, truth?", but that generally refers to their (external) Cinema Displays. Any laptop screen - even that of the superb MacBook Pro - will have varying color and contrast rendition because of their varying viewing angles and the materials used in their construction.

You haven't said what your new computer will be used for, but because you're posting here, I'll guess that it will be for photography work - lol!

Most consumer LCDs use TN (twisted nematic) displays to render their images. These are both less expensive to produce and widely appreciated, because they can achieve very fast response times (gamers love them).

Other monitors use different technologies -such as IPS or s-PVA - that don't have such quick response times, but provide truer and wider color rendition and less degradation vs. angle of view.

Anyhow. try doing a search in this forum for something like "Apple monitor photo" or "iMac photo monitor" or related terms. You'll uncover a *huge* amount of info and opinions that will take a lot of time to wade through - but isn't that part of the "fun" in deciding on such an important move?

One of the things you'll find will be this *massive* and informational site:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206

Good luck, and have fun,

Eric

5. Hartawan

Hartawan Guest

Thanks for the quick response guys!

Yes I am going to mostly use the mac for photoshop work. The current computer I am using for photoshop seems a bit weird in terms of color, or maybe its the CS3? Anyways, the colors in CS3 seems a bit more deep and rich but when I finalize my picture and preview it using windows viewer, the color seems a little dull. I calibrated my monitor with Huey Pantone and it feels like it is still not right, maybe its just me.

Also, I don't know what the difference is between the "Cache"

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3MB shared L2 cache

and

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    6MB shared L2 cache
    Option: 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

3MB vs 6MB, what is that and does it affect that much? Is that why the 2.5ghz is $500 more?!

6. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    More internal cache would make it snappier.

There are no bad choices. Just buy the best you can afford and DON"T look back! :smile:

7. scottb

scottb Guest

Like Ted says, go with aftermarket RAM. Apple charges WAY too much for additional memory.

On the color issue, make sure you are using the same color profile (sRGB, aRGB, Pro Photo, etc.) in your applications.

8. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    Yes, Apple ram is more expensive, but it's quality ram. Cheap, faulty ram is the cause of 99% of hardware/software problems on macs. Crucial.com has good quality ram, and isn't as expensive as apple ram.

9. scottb

scottb Guest

There's no such thing as Apple RAM. They sell third-party (Samsung) memory - at ridiculously inflated prices - to folks who don't know any better. Don't buy cheap RAM, but don't buy "Apple RAM," either.

10. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Would there be an argument for ordering the ram with the computer to be sure it's covered by the warranty and properly installed? I'm not suggesting there aren't others who can install it just fine, just asking since many companies look for any reason to deny warranty.

11. This is what I usually do -- when I'm getting a new machine I just have Apple go ahead and install the extra RAM and then I'm good to go.... Yes, it costs more than if I were to order from a third-party vendor and install it myself but for me it's worth it not having to mess with things and, yes, it's also good to know that it is covered under AppleCare since it is something which came with the machine at the time of purchase or was installed immediately by the store at the time of purchase.

They DO pay attention to this sort of thing. I noticed that when I took my Mac Pro in to the Genius Bar, the Genius made note of the fact that two of the HDs installed in the machine were not factory-installed (I purchased and installed them myself about a month or so after I had the machine). The RAM was that which had been installed by Apple at the time I purchased the Mac Pro, and that was duly noted.

12. Hartawan

Hartawan Guest

Wow they charge +$100 more on memory upgrade, but yeah voiding warranty quite scares me but I have never needed to return my computer for warranty work before *knock on wood*.
    I just compared the black MB to the MBP 2.4ghz and the difference is screen size and graphic card for $500... oh gosh. I am still contemplating if I should get a $1700 lens or a $2000-2200 laptop.
    Thanks for the help guys!

13. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Let me add they can't void the warranty on the entire computer. They can only potentially void the warranty on any failure that can be proven to be directly caused by the non-factory add on or service. That's federal law. It would be very difficult for them to say a screen failure or keyboard failure was due to a user installed or non Apple memory chip.

14. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I would recommend the following.

Buy the computer with the minimum RAM

Buy high quality 3rd Party RAM

Install the RAM and keep the old RAM.

If you have issues with the computer, put the old RAM in and take it to the store.

Installing RAM is trivial (IMHO)

15. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Crucial.com is made by Micron, one of the best and largest. Other world computing also provides quality. I've used both without issues.

16. I have a 17" Mac Book Pro, 24" iMac and a Power Mac G5 quad.

If i had the choice between the MBP and 24" iMac, I'd pick the iMac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.