Apple ID Associated With Apps

When my wife first got her Ipad we set it up using my Apple ID.
Eventually we set it up with her own Apple ID.
When updates to a number of the Apps run it gives and error saying the password is not correct.
I have a feeling it is because some of them were installed under my ID and not hers.
Is there a way to change the owner ID in an App?
All of the apps were free. If I delete the app then reinstall it everything is fine.
If not is there some type of work around so those apps will update?

My wife and I share an Apple ID. I know this is frowned on by the cognoscenti here, but she doesn't want to fool with it and refuses to set up her own.

I was looking for an app on my phone last week that I am sure I installed several months ago, but couldn't find it. I went to the app store to download it again, but it only offers "Open", not download.

Now we notice that app is installed on my wife's phone! There are also a few additional apps on her phone that she didn't install.

My wife and I share an Apple ID. I know this is frowned on by the cognoscenti here, but she doesn't want to fool with it and refuses to set up her own.

I was looking for an app on my phone last week that I am sure I installed several months ago, but couldn't find it. I went to the app store to download it again, but it only offers "Open", not download.

Now we notice that app is installed on my wife's phone! There are also a few additional apps on her phone that she didn't install.
Back in the pre-covid days, my wife used to attend national meetings many of which required her to download an app either for registration or scheduling or talk summaries etc. I would periodically have to clean out all the apps on my phone that just sort of appeared.

We share an ID but she also has her own which I believe is necessary for some functions like "Find my Device" but we never set up 2-factor ID. Apple seemed to become more and more insistent that we set up 2-factor so we finally seen about 75 minutes on the phone with them setting up family sharing, 2-factor ID, and some other convoluted problems involving my new MacAir. Set up a time to talk to their support and they'll go over everything.

Yes, set up family sharing. If you on your ID "get" or "buy" an app, anyone else in your family can install it without repaying (assuming paid app). Once it syncs, you shouldn't have this issue anymore.
Another side effect of same account, multiple devices. In your settings, go to App Store and look for "Apps" and "App Updates". If Apps is selected, if you download an app on one device it'll install on her phone too. Deselect this and it'll only install what she installs.

Yes, set up family sharing. If you on your ID "get" or "buy" an app, anyone else in your family can install it without repaying (assuming paid app). Once it syncs, you shouldn't have this issue anymore.

Another side effect of same account, multiple devices. In your settings, go to App Store and look for "Apps" and "App Updates". If Apps is selected, if you download an app on one device it'll install on her phone too. Deselect this and it'll only install what she installs.

Thanks for the info. "Apps" has never been selected. And my wife has never downloaded an app and probably never will.

So you'd have to check on her device if that option is checked. Apps don't just show up though unless it's an Apple system app that gets installed with an upgrade or something.

So you'd have to check on her device if that option is checked. Apps don't just show up though unless it's an Apple system app that gets installed with an upgrade or something.

The apps that have migrated from my phone to hers are (1) an app I use with my hearing aids; and (2) Cascable, for control of Nikon cameras, which she would never consider using.

I'll check her phone when she gets home. I intend to remove those apps and then see if I can reinstall them on my phone.

So you're saying the apps were on your phone, then were removed from your phone and were installed on hers instead?
Or did the apps remain on your device but all of the sudden appeared on hers?

So you're saying the apps were on your phone, then were removed from your phone and were installed on hers instead?
Or did the apps remain on your device but all of the sudden appeared on hers?

Mixed. The hearing aid app ("HeardThat") disappeared from my phone and appeared on hers. Cascable is still on my phone, but also appeared on hers, as did Hoopla.

Interesting. Can't really speak to what may be going on but one thing is for certain, having the same iCloud account on two different phones can and may lead to issues (which you've been seeing for some time now) and the only way to ensure the problems go away is to separate the accounts. I know her stance on this, and I know yours, but this is classic root cause analysis...that's the root cause of issues, fix that, everything else goes away (or you just introduce other unrelated ones :D )

Interesting. Can't really speak to what may be going on but one thing is for certain, having the same iCloud account on two different phones can and may lead to issues (which you've been seeing for some time now) and the only way to ensure the problems go away is to separate the accounts. I know her stance on this, and I know yours, but this is classic root cause analysis...that's the root cause of issues, fix that, everything else goes away (or you just introduce other unrelated ones :D )

Actually, "HeardThat" shows in the list of apps in Settings on my phone, but the icon is not visible.

The single Apple ID causes a few minor inconveniences, but it's worth it to promote domestic tranquility.
You could easily set up an account for her, log her into it on her phone, set it to the same password as she's already accustomed to, go to your account and do family sharing by adding her and she'd be none-the-wiser. That way there wouldn't be any conflicts and since she wouldn't know, it would be business as usual for her and less headaches for you (and now us, man, this is a racket).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom