Apple ID & kids?

We bought my daughter an iPod and I need to create an Apple ID. How have you guys handled that? I want to be able to manage it, and anticipate that we will have more Apple devices in the near future.

So should I have a separate ID for each child (all under 13 years old) or a "group" ID? And do you guys have a separate ID for the adults in the household (some of my music is not really on the "approved" list.:biggrin:)?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There have been several cases of parents paying thousands after giving their kids access to buy game add-ons. You need to decide if you would trust them to go shopping with your credit card and if they understand that online purchases do involve real money. If you do, then you can give them permission. If not, keep your password/PIN safe from them.

The best way (I think) is to have one ID for all purchases and each user has their own ID for things like Messages / Face Time / etc.

On the music side you can create playlists of approved music and only sync those playlists to the kids devices.

Thanks! That sounds good, now I just need to figure out how to set it up. I am totally new to "iStuff".

There have been several cases of parents paying thousands after giving their kids access to buy game add-ons. You need to decide if you would trust them to go shopping with your credit card and if they understand that online purchases do involve real money. If you do, then you can give them permission. If not, keep your password/PIN safe from them.

The younger two have Kindle Fire's so that is an issue that we have all worked through (at minimal expense, thankfully) - they call my wife or I for permission before making any purchase. That sad, its fantastic advice for anyone who has not worked through that issue because it could get expensive quickly.

You should probably check, but I seem to recall from going through this with my kids that Apple won't allow you to create an Apple ID for a child 13 or under (part of the sign-up process invoked getting the account holders birthdate, and it would allow dates recent enough).

Yep. I created a "family" ID that I can manage (just like their e-mail accts...) and if I am forced for some reason get an iPhone, I will just create another for myself. The only downside seems to be syncing (won't want to) and the inability to share apps (don't care).

The real upside is that after the complete PITA with this Ipod, I am completely cured of any desire to ever own anything made by Apple again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why setting up an IPod is PITA?!?!

Just create an account and don't give her the password!!!! simples!!
I did it for my daughter.

If you could share Apps, no one would buy them!!!!

You don't have to have a Credit Card linked to the account, just use iTunes vouchers to fund it!

I really don't get why people don't like Apple/iTunes........
I find it far easier than any other OS/music/file management!

Steve, this is the first "I" device that we have owned. I don't use or need iNanny or any other "management system" to keep track of the music that I listen to, or that they listen to -it has always been as simple as transferring it off of one of the computers to the device. And I don't want to share anything, just use what I am buying (since last I checked my wife or I buy everything here...).

It is probably fantastic stuff and I am glad that you enjoy it, but its not for everyone (me).

I don't get why setting up an IPod is PITA?!?!

Just create an account and don't give her the password!!!! simples!!
I did it for my daughter.

If you could share Apps, no one would buy them!!!!

You don't have to have a Credit Card linked to the account, just use iTunes vouchers to fund it!

I really don't get why people don't like Apple/iTunes........
I find it far easier than any other OS/music/file management!

Steve, I have yet to meet anyone who likes iTunes. I call it the devil. Apple will never get iTunes right. And no I don't hate apple. My home contains a 27" iMac, 3 iPods, 4 iPads, and 2 iPhones.

Steve, I have yet to meet anyone who likes iTunes. I call it the devil. Apple will never get iTunes right. And no I don't hate apple. My home contains a 27" iMac, 3 iPods, 4 iPads, and 2 iPhones.

What don't you like about it John?

The things i like about it are that i just tick a box for what content i want on my IPhone/Ipad, all over WIFI.
It helps me keep my music/films/pdf's organised.

What don't you like about it John?

The things i like about it are that i just tick a box for what content i want on my IPhone/Ipad, all over WIFI.
It helps me keep my music/films/pdf's organised.

For me, it was always screwing up and just never seemed to work right, always losing sync to my music libraries. Now the only thing it's used for is backing up my kids' devices. For music we dumped Itunes and buying music. Waste of money. I subscribe to Spotify for $10/month and have access to almost all the music there is. You can synch whatever playlists you want to your idevice so it doesn't stream, or you can stream if you're on wifi. You can have it on 4 devices, only one can be online at any given time though. No problem, for the devices that you have downloaded your playlists to you can just go offline with those. It's a great service and a steal at $10/month. What does that buy you in itunes? 7 songs?

For me, it was always screwing up and just never seemed to work right, always losing sync to my music libraries. Now the only thing it's used for is backing up my kids' devices. For music we dumped Itunes and buying music. Waste of money. I subscribe to Spotify for $10/month and have access to almost all the music there is. You can synch whatever playlists you want to your idevice so it doesn't stream, or you can stream if you're on wifi. You can have it on 4 devices, only one can be online at any given time though. No problem, for the devices that you have downloaded your playlists to you can just go offline with those. It's a great service and a steal at $10/month. What does that buy you in itunes? 7 songs?

I've never had a problem with sync issues.....strange!

I subscribed to spotify a few years ago, i cancelled it after the app crashed several times (whilst running or in the bath).
Probably more stable now.

I also realised that i only really listened to one album a month, so i may as well just buy that album and own it!

Having 4 devices on it sounds like a great deal though!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom