Apple Mail down on all my devices!

Seems to be less traffic here over the years but I'll post in hopes anyway,, maybe save me hours on phone/chat with Apple. About two weeks ago my Apple mail stopped working on all my devices on or near the same day. The WIFI only iPod, my iPhone and two desktop iMacs. After hours on the phone with ATT I was able to get into the sort of backdoor to Yahoo mail. It seems Apple mail get's sent to Yahoo mail or forwarded via that place. While I can access my mail that way it's been aggravating and some features of Apple Mail do not function there as well or at all.

Anyone have any idea of what may have gone haywire to cause this on all devices? If I can't get an answer I can contact Apple. One of the iMacs is covered under Apple Care so I can get free support by phone or chat. My guess is that once one device is resolved all will be as well. It has to be some glitch in the Apple mail server itself.

Real Name
Ken St John
Hmmm, I'm not seeing any issues at all. I am certain that someone, or something, has to setup any relay through Yahoo mail ... the two are not connected in any way at all.

Check your mail settings ... if they don't look like this, there is definitely an issue with your mail system!!
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 9.29.42 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Of course, your email would be listed vs mine!! :) FWIW - I use Outlook for email and this is their account setup page.)

Do you have 2-factor login configured on your iCloud account? If not, I'd also look into updating your iCloud password and setting that up. (It's the system that sends you a notification to your phone with a number whenever anyone tries to login to your iCloud account.)

By the way, I guess if your iCloud is secure and your setup looks like this, there's a possibility that your ISP has issues that need to be addressed by them for your mail routing. In my experience, this would be pretty unlikely, but it's not impossible, and probably something that only an upper level tech support person may be able to diagnose or repair.

Hope this helps!!

Ken

D

Deleted member 4116

Are you just using Apple Mail (i.e. the program, not the service) to get your yahoo email? For example, you have a yahoo email address like "iflyplanes@yahoo.com" and you're trying to check and respond to email using Apple Mail?

Have you looked here for help?
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/set-remove-yahoo-mail-account-ios-mail-sln3700.html

I highly doubt Apple is going to walk you through this but I could be wrong. What about the default Yahoo Mail app on your mobile devices and the website on your iMacs are a problem?

Do you have the proper credentials in your Internet Accounts pane in System Preferences? Did you recently change your password?

Google yahoo as they stopped delivering emails to non yahoo platform that were not secure.
I kept on receiving warnings from them.

Hi Yahoo Member,

We love that you love using your Yahoo Mail. And we want to make sure you always have the best experience. That’s why we’re reaching out today.

We’ve noticed that you’re using non-Yahoo applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) that may use a less secure sign-in method. To protect you and your data, Yahoo will no longer support the current sign-in functionality in your application starting on 20 October 2020. This means that you will need to take one of the steps below to continue using Yahoo Mail without interruption.

But don’t worry, you have options. Find an option that works best for you below:

Option 1: We recommend that you access your email using our free Yahoo Mail app for iOS and Android or simply go to mail.yahoo.com to access Yahoo Mail on the web.

Option 2: Keep your current, non-Yahoo app, BUT follow a few steps to get it to sync with our secure sign-in method. The steps vary across different email applications, but in most cases, you will have to remove your Yahoo account from the app and then add it back again to update the sign-in security. Use the links below to follow the specific steps for your current application:

Option 3: You can generate a one-time, unique password that will allow you to sign in to your account using your non-Yahoo email application. Once created, this password will continue to allow your app to securely sync your Yahoo email unless you sign out (or are signed out) from your app. You can find instructions on how to do this here.

If you want more details on these changes, please visit our help page. If you’ve already taken action, we’d like to think you haven’t read this far, but if you have . . . we sure appreciate the diligence!

Thanks for rocking that Yahoo Mail address!

Yours in your inbox,
The Yahoo Team

D

Deleted member 4116

I had a feeling it may have been that but wanted to rule that out as he would have received some sort of communication of the sort. But if he didn't try to log in via the web or through their app he may not have ever seen that message. This is one of the biggest reasons why I tell people to stop using email applications, ISP email addresses, and so on. Nearly every provider has their own app and they almost always work better.

A lot to absorb. I was using the Apple mail program that has come bundled with Apple for decades. I made no changes to any settings. My email is and has been for maybe 15 years : blah.blah@sbcglobal.net
It appears everything stopped working about 16 November on all my devices. It may be that Yahoo change as mentioned and I'll check it out. If it was in my Yahoo mail box it went to a spot I NEVER look at at until I found out I can find me Apple mail there.
Already tried Gmail. Blah! I can't even get a straight answer as to how I can view my email on the iMac and the iPod at the same time! From all I can tell you can only log in from one device at a time!

Is sbcglobal.net a yahoo email?
I am very confused as to what your situation is.

I have a Gmail account and the only way I access it, by choice, is through webmail. The Gmail account is the one I use for registering at websites when that's needed, for providing to others who need an email address but who are not someone with whom I do everyday personal email correspondence, etc. Keeping Gmail totally separate from my incoming email via my email client -- Apple Mail -- has worked out just fine for me. I only have my dot Mac account that comes into Apple Mail, and my ISP-related account, and that's it. I don't want to jam up my email client with a bunch of other mail, much of which wouldn't be something I'd appreciate receiving anyway and then have to delete. My Apple Mail has always been more than satisfactory since the day I set up my first Mac, lo these many moons ago.

Well that shed some light. Way back at some point probably after Compuserve and a 300baud modem I signed up for internet service. At that time I was able to set up an email acct which was and is XXX(dot)xxx@sbcglobal.net. On each of about 12 new Apple desktops, and iPod and 2 iPhones I just set up the native Apple Mail with that email acct. I imagine back whenever ATT hooked up with Yahoo my mail was bouncing through there somehow but I never knew and didn't have any reason to wonder. It just kept working like it always did and only recently did I discover all my Apple mail is parked on that site.

It might be that that UKYahoo info you gave me also took place in the USA but perhaps at a later date. I do think that what they are suggesting applies to USA as well and I can follow the same procedures. I'm at the point now where I'm afraid to even log out and start screwing around with their suggestions. Took me hours on the phone with ATT just to get into Yahoo mail. I finally got on and the next time I tried logging in it didn't accept the Pword and I had to get on phone again.

Hehe maybe I'll start new and make a list as to who I even care has my email. I'm already wondering what headaches I have to endure just to change my email address on the dozen or so places that do need it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well that shed some light. Way back at some point probably after Compuserve and a 300baud modem I signed up for internet service. At that time I was able to set up an email acct which was and is XXX(dot)xxx@sbcglobal.net. On each of about 12 new Apple desktops, and iPod and 2 iPhones I just set up the native Apple Mail with that email acct. I imagine back whenever ATT hooked up with Yahoo my mail was bouncing through there somehow but I never knew and didn't have any reason to wonder. It just kept working like it always did and only recently did I discover all my Apple mail is parked on that site.

It might be that that UKYahoo info you gave me also took place in the USA but perhaps at a later date. I do think that what they are suggesting applies to USA as well and I can follow the same procedures. I'm at the point now where I'm afraid to even log out and start screwing around with their suggestions. Took me hours on the phone with ATT just to get into Yahoo mail. I finally got on and the next time I tried logging in it didn't accept the Pword and I had to get on phone again.

Hehe maybe I'll start new and make a list as to who I even care has my email. I'm already wondering what headaches I have to endure just to change my email address on the dozen or so places that do need it.
FWIW.......a year or so ago I created a new gmail account (at the urging of @Growltiger !) since hubby and I had shared a single email account for 15 years. I immediately changed certain accounts unique to me. Then gradually over the year changed others. It was not really that difficult. Even switching from Outlook (I know...Microsoft) to gmail I could import 90% of my contacts. I'm glad I did it, since many sites require separate emails and at times either he or me were frustrated because the "other one" had changed a password! LOL!

Real Name
Ken St John
Sorry, it looks like I misunderstood your problem. I suspect it may be the issue Morty pointed out or something similar. It may also be something as easy as a settings change ... for example, you may have been on POP mail for a long time and the ISP may have dropped that and now has only IMAP mail available. (Check their "how to setup your email client" page for further information.)

In any case, I always tell my clients to never, ever, use email from their ISP!! In my opinion, some sort of third party, independent, email provider is FAR better for you, your privacy, and your freedom (for example you can change ISP's if you need to and not have to worry about changing your email address!!).

I usually recommend either Apple (XXX@icloud.com) or Microsoft (XXX@outlook.com) as my primary choices as neither company uses your data for advertising. FWIW - I always argue against Gmail, which as part of the Google juggernaut, captures every single keystroke in and out to use for advertising; something that's not illegal but definitely a privacy concern I choose to not be a part of.

I just changed the email for a client away from XXX@Comcast.net for these reasons to iCloud. She has a giant email address book, and we simply started replying with the new address. Comcast does have a setting to forward email to a new address which we also configured. She never missed a message and folks either manually or automatically updated their address lists!! EZ!! The most work we had to do was changing her login or registration address (for sites such as Nikon Cafe) and we just did it over a period of a few days. Once that was done, she has had no further issues at all.

Hope that helps!!

Ken

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

SBC Global should still be a traditional IMAP/POP3 mail service and not be affected by "yahoo things" but again these companies are trying to do what they can to secure their platforms better and this means new incoming and outgoing servers, ports, authentication and so on. And when they make that change and you don't, you're without service until you go and fix it all.

Web based email doesn't have this issue. I've had a gmail address for probably 15+ years and besides a general outage that occurs to even the best of companies i've had zero connection issues.
Already tried Gmail. Blah! I can't even get a straight answer as to how I can view my email on the iMac and the iPod at the same time! From all I can tell you can only log in from one device at a time!
This isn't even remotely correct...like not a shred of truth.

On your computer, go to gmail.com and log in with your credentials (if you use Chrome, you'll likely already be logged in). You can log in using your mobile browser or just use their app that works fantastic (and i'm very critical of apps in general). I have gmail on my laptop, work laptop, my iphone, my ipad, and my work ipad. Once you authorize a device it is retained by your google account and tracked to prevent unnecessary logins. No POP3/IMAP settings, no "fetch/push" of email, nothing. And I can check it anywhere, not just on my devices where i've set up an email platform.

I've tried a million times to log into gmail from another device WHILE I was already logged in on one of the iMacs. All I get is a screen asking if I want to create a new acct. I have tried it on the other iMac, and the iPod. I understand Gmail is popular but for the life of me I can't see why. I mean how hard can it be to add a feature to make some silly folder you can name whatever you want? As far as SBC Global all I can say again is that it stopped working on every device at the same time. I think that letter pretty much states the reason why.

I may have found a way out of this mess. I just made a brand new email at yahoo and it seems I can keep a copy on the sbcglobal addy and just automatically forward everything to the new email as well.
I really appreciate all the help and replies. Sounds like something out of Apples hands so it's just as well I didn't try calling them. Until I read that info posted above I was thinking it was some issue with Apple servers or forwarding or something mainly because it all quit about the same day.

D

Deleted member 4116

All I get is a screen asking if I want to create a new acct. I have tried it on the other iMac, and the iPod.
What browser are you using? I use chrome 99% of the time but even when I used Safari I had zero issues. Add Google under the Internet Accounts of System Preferences and it should auto-log you in when you go to a google service (i.e. calendar, gmail, etc.)
I understand Gmail is popular but for the life of me I can't see why. I mean how hard can it be to add a feature to make some silly folder you can name whatever you want?
o_O, I have something like 20 folders in my gmail. I'm starting to think the issue is the user, not the service.

OK give you that one. I figured out how to make what they call a folder. So yeah this apple iiC user can still figure stuff out heh? As far as the other issue I can promise it aint the user unless there is some other place to log in aside from gmail.com where I am greeted by this:
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 9.01.29 PM.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

Deleted member 4116

I can only venture a guess here but it appears your google account is based on your sbcglobal.net email and not your gmail email you're trying to set up. So when you log in with sbcglobal it isn't associating the gmail address to the account.

Set up a google account using a newly created gmail address (or do so with the existing one, though you may have to look that up).

I've only seen google accounts associated with gmail.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Continuing to use antiquated and poor quality services like aol, yahoo (which gets hacked), and all ISP based services always leads to pain in the end. When you need to change ISP for example.
It is best to go with the large wealthy successful email providers:
" Gmail and Outlook are the two heavyweights of the email world. Worldwide, Gmail has 1.5 billion users and Outlook (i.e. Microsoft) has 400 million users."
I don't care if Google read my emails. I block all internet advertising anyway so I never see it.
I like to use an email client, but if there is a ever a problem I can use direct web access.

Latest threads

Top Bottom