1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Apple message question

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by dossy, Sep 12, 2018.

1. I just got a small screen on my MacBook Pro that said Apple wants to make changes, enter computer password. Has this ever happened to anyone? I got nervous and restarted my computer. I did just upgrade my iPhone and got my husband a new iPad in the deal. Was this legit?

Thanks.

2. IDK. I can't remember ever getting a message like that, but OTOH, I can't remember ever getting any sort of phishing/scam message from "Apple" either.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Next time post a screenshot. That would show the actual wording and appearance. There is nothing called exactly "computer password".

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Did it look similar to this:
    Screen_Shot_2017-11-16_at_9.51.45_PM.

If so, 100% legit. Programs that need to edit files outside of their own core files require admin permission. If you recently installed something or made changes, it makes sense for this to come up. This isn't a windows machine, you're not likely to come across much in terms of malicious messages that would look like this and not from some crappy scam site.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thank you all for your kind responses, and I apologize for taking so long to get back. It's been a busy day! Yes, tenplanescrashing, it looks exactly like that. I just entered my password, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    You should be good to go, but i'd be taking note of what program is asking for permission. If you didn't recently update or install something it's a little weird but typically it'll only show up for something you've already given permission to exist on your computer.

7. As I think about it, I recently upgraded my iPhone and got a new iPad for my husband. Could this be the reason?

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

You would need to read exactly what the message said. It tells you. The example above explained which program wants permission.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.