Apple Music, TV, Books, et al

Apple announced that they are retiring iTunes and reimagining how they deal with "media". There is a new app called Apple Music which is essentially the supporting program for their streaming music service. Apple TV similarly is essentially a streaming service. This is a serious issue/downer for me.

I am no fan of iTunes but it worked well enough to allow me to rip CD's and digitize LP's and cassettes (that I own, FWIW) into a library and share/sync the music with my iPhone and a couple of old iPods. I could also listen to playlists on my home stereo system via AirPlay or via DLNA over my home wifi. Now, that is all out the window.

I have never purchased music from the iTunes store. In fact, the only "online music purchases" I've ever made have been the bundled downloads that Amazon offers when you buy CD's from them. My entire music library comes from LP's, cassettes and CD's that I possess. I have long managed that library with iTunes.

So, now I have to figure out how to manage and use my music (and some video from DVD's I own).

Is anyone else in this boat or am I a hopeless antique?

Doug, I'm with you 100%. At home I still listen to my old school stereo, all CDs, having retired cassette tapes years ago, and confining my vinyl to storage. I have various playlists on my 2 iOS devices and my MBP made up from music in my collection, that I listen to out on the back patio. I plug my phone/ipad/MBP into some old computer speakers/and bass unit tucked up under the eaves and have rather decent sound.

I have digitized a lot of my music as well, although I do subscribe to Apple Music periodically. If we are going on a road trip I often subscribe to it then cancel after that trip. That will be a real downer if we can't access all the music that we have digitized.

am I a hopeless antique?

Sorry to disappoint you, Doug, but you don't even compare to me when it comes to being a hopeless antique. None of my devices have play lists and none of my music is stored internally on a consumer device.

All of my music is on CDs. About 95% of the classical music is cataloged on a spreadsheet including ratings about how much I like each piece. When I want to play that music, I refer to the spreadsheet to determine the location of its CD. None of the non-classical music is cataloged but about 95% of it is stored in alphabetical order by the performer's name. The little bit of music that isn't cataloged and isn't stored in order of performer, such as Christmas music performed by miscellaneous musicians, is located in a small area that is easy to browse. You remember that term, browse, that doesn't refer to using a computer, right? :D

Last edited:
I thought I read this only applied to the apple ecosystem, Windows would not be impacted.
Apple Music iTunes is very confusing and is a mess.
I used to rip all my CDs (I still do when I acquire the odd new one) in iTunes and play these on my iPods (before the days of the iPhone).
Then at some point in the past iTunes simply offered the ability to access these (was it Apple Match?) from their library in the cloud.
More recently with Apple Music anything they have can be accessed and downloaded (provided that there is a live subscription) on devices.

So when I play some music I have no idea if it is "own of mine" or "one of theirs".

Very confusing.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/apple-previews-macos-catalina/

"macOS Catalina replaces iTunes with three all-new apps that greatly simplify and improve the way Mac users discover and enjoy their favorite music, TV shows, movies and podcasts.
The new Music app for Mac is lightning fast, fun and easy to use. Apple Music will help users discover great new music with over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. And users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD. For those who like to own their music, the iTunes Music Store is just a click away."

Maybe Apple Music will even play them.
And one hopes that it wouldn't want money to play your own files...

From everything I have read so far the Apple Music app only works with/on Apple-purchased content. It is subscription-based and some amount of content is included with the subscription.

The smorgasbord of functions bundled into iTunes are being migrated to other applications. Music, as noted, is going to Apple Music. Video goes to Apple TV (the app not the box). Audio books go to Books. Backups, updates, etc of the iPhone, if not done over the air to the cloud, will be done in Finder.

It appears that keeping (local) digital files of one's own is almost as quaint as keeping one's own LP's, CD's and cassettes.

I thought I read this only applied to the apple ecosystem, Windows would not be impacted.
Apple Music iTunes is very confusing and is a mess.
I used to rip all my CDs (I still do when I acquire the odd new one) in iTunes and play these on my iPods (before the days of the iPhone).
Then at some point in the past iTunes simply offered the ability to access these (was it Apple Match?) from their library in the cloud.
More recently with Apple Music anything they have can be accessed and downloaded (provided that there is a live subscription) on devices.

So when I play some music I have no idea if it is "own of mine" or "one of theirs".

Very confusing.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/apple-previews-macos-catalina/

"macOS Catalina replaces iTunes with three all-new apps that greatly simplify and improve the way Mac users discover and enjoy their favorite music, TV shows, movies and podcasts.
The new Music app for Mac is lightning fast, fun and easy to use. Apple Music will help users discover great new music with over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. And users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD. For those who like to own their music, the iTunes Music Store is just a click away."

I read that. I've also seen other reports that conflict with that. I suspect we will just have to wait and see.

From everything I have read so far the Apple Music app only works with/on Apple-purchased content. It is subscription-based and some amount of content is included with the subscription.

The smorgasbord of functions bundled into iTunes are being migrated to other applications. Music, as noted, is going to Apple Music. Video goes to Apple TV (the app not the box). Audio books go to Books. Backups, updates, etc of the iPhone, if not done over the air to the cloud, will be done in Finder.

It appears that keeping (local) digital files of one's own is almost as quaint as keeping one's own LP's, CD's and cassettes.

True,

You may be interested in Apple Match then.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204146
https://www.imore.com/itunes-match

iTunes stores your own music as files on your computer. You can navigate to those files and play them. So they will never be completely lost (if backed up) no matter what Apple do.
I know. The issue is will the new Apple Music app manage them and, if not, then how long before iTunes is deprecated. It remains to this day a virtual bug condo. How long will Apple keep it running?

FWIW, I think splitting the functions bundled into iTunes is a good idea and long overdue. It is the migration of music to the cloud and streaming that bothers me. I know I can be a bit of a Luddite but, to me, this is analogous to the unease many here feel with subscription-based image editing software.

I really like having my music in the cloud. I purchased itunes match many years ago and have used it ever since. No matter what device I am on, my music is available to me. Honestly, though, I find myself, more and more, listening to podcasts and audio books much more than music. Don't get me wrong, I love music, but I love learning new things, too!! I think having the apps separated will be a good thing. Itunes is so confusing. I wonder if itunes match is going away? Time will tell.

Almost any music I want to listen to now is available on YouTube.

Do you play it through a regular stereo system or small speakers connected to your computer or perhaps headphone or earplug speakers? I ask because I prefer to play music using original, full-size files (as opposed to MP3 files) through my regular stereo system, as that combination provides the best fidelity I've got. I don't know what kind of files are used on YouTube but if I had to bet it would be that they aren't the full-size files on audio CDs.

Do you play it through a regular stereo system or small speakers connected to your computer or perhaps headphone or earplug speakers? I ask because I prefer to play music using original, full-size files (as opposed to MP3 files) through my regular stereo system, as that combination provides the best fidelity I've got. I don't know what kind of files are used on YouTube but if I had to bet it would be that they aren't the full-size files on audio CDs.

I'm sure they are MP3, but they are plenty good enough for my hearing aids. I have some excellent speakers connected to my computer, including a subwoofer, and I generally prefer music through that system over my living room McIntosh and Klipsch system.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom