Apple, NeXT step..

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Iliah, Jun 4, 2005.

1. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    As Long as OS X runs on it and Nikon Capture and PSCS, etc. I will still be happy.

2. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I really don't think this will happen...been down this road many times before.

If it does, it won't be Macs running Pentium/Xeon chips, it will be Intel manufacturing processors that are still proprietary to running the Mac OS. Apple has been disappointed recently with IBM's yield and production schedule/capacity.

It would be more likey to see Apple partner with AMD.

C

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I kind of agree Cory. They'd have to work on those Intel chips to run Tiger or whatever, on top of Darwin, on top of a BSD kernel, all on the Pentium instruction set. Of course Apple has an interesting marketing department (similar to a Japanese camera company we all know and love) and might not be surprised by a new Mac ad campaign exhorting us to 'slow down and compute at a more relaxed pace.'

(This isn't to say that intel machines don't run Windows at blazingly fast speeds. The Power PC G series is optomized to run the cascading UNIX system that OSX is comprised of and the Pentium isn't.)

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    For some time already emulators of Mac permit to run Panther pretty well on a PC. The necessary migration STEP is already here :)

5. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Hopefully Apple won't go away the way Next did (which does not exist anymore).

I just can't see Apple being a profitable PC vendor, even with their own OS. Maybe a prelude to just ditch the whole PC division and focus on their new ipod et al. business.

That would be sad !

Thierry

6. Interesting turn of events. I'm out of the loop w/ most things Apple and had not seen much mention of NeXTStep in a long time -- last thing I read was Sun trying to make use of OpenStep (the underlying cross-platform OS that came about from NeXTStep) for Solaris long ago. And in this new article, I do not see any mention of NeXT either. Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, I still remember being a guinea pig for the NeXT Cube w/ OS v0.8 back in my college days in the late 80's. :D And I still have a paid copy of their very first official release of NeXTStep (v3?) for the Intel platform from circa '93 gathering dust nearby in original packaging -- think I finally dumped the hardcopy manuals sometime last year. :mrgreen: Back then, I thought NeXTStep was soooo cool that I bought that release of the OS well before I ever owned my own PC -- and installed it at work for a little tinkering and some minor uses. ;) How many releases followed? Just one, IIRC, before Win95/NT squashed any hope for its success on Intel platform (and also stole quite a bit of its GUI/look-and-feel even though many people assume that Microsoft only "borrowed" from the Mac OS). :lol: And to me, even now, .NET itself reminds me a fair bit of NeXTStep's development platform, but reworked for web development also, instead of just traditional client/server systems.

_Man_