Apple publicly admits to being responsible for the demise of digital photography..

As we know it. The great mystery of why DSLRs and pro photographers are a dying breed is now solved. Apple's latest commercial reveals that "Every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera." I just watched this mostly uninspiring commercial and said to myself, I really miss Steve Jobs. But the message of the commercial does ring partially true, with practically everyone carrying some sort of smart phone with a camera there are so many digital images out there to be harvested. Maybe times really are a changing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVW62mwSQQ

I'll admit times are changing. When News Papers layoff or retire their photo journalist and train reporters to get images with iPhone's. When music is produced via a apple macbook pro in a basement and no longer do a musicians need to rent studio time. Yes, times are changing and with change come opportunity. My Nokia Lumia Windows Phone has a stellar camera on it. Images are great-

What I regret MOST about the iPhone/Camera phone dilemma is that people are no longer seeing life when at events or gatherings, but rather spending time seeing it thru a 4 inch wedge of silica and diodes missing the "big picture"… "Hold on, I have to catch this, I want to film this, Oh I need pictures of this" while life is going right by them!

*** oh, and lots of "deep fried" images that are most always over processed.

I primarily shoot sports, but I believe the following observation applies to other genres of photograph as well.

When I take a picture and if it comes out exactly what the spectators next to me see, then I fail (usually). In this case I let the action (contents of the picture) do all the work and I as a photographer simply record the event. Unless the action is amazing, the picture will turn out to be quite ordinary. To me this is what iPhone users do. They simply point and shoot, and let the contents do all the work.

I will try to create a look that's different from what someone standing next to me sees. I may use panning to create motion. I may play with backlit subjects to create silhouettes. I may use a long lens to isolate subjects. I may use a wide angle lens to exaggerate features of subjects close to me. I may look for emotional responses that others miss. There are so many ways to create a different look, and that's what make photography fun, and it creates contents superior to iphone pictures.

As an example, many times I go to a road race (running) and I see a photographer standing behind the finish line and take pictures of every runner crossing the line. This is necessary if your objective is recording every runner and show them their pictures afterwards. But as a sportshooter we want to be creative and move around the course looking for interesting things/runners to shoot.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'll admit times are changing. When News Papers layoff or retire their photo journalist and train reporters to get images with iPhone's. When music is produced via a apple macbook pro in a basement and no longer do a musicians need to rent studio time. Yes, times are changing and with change come opportunity. My Nokia Lumia Windows Phone has a stellar camera on it. Images are great-

What I regret MOST about the iPhone/Camera phone dilemma is that people are no longer seeing life when at events or gatherings, but rather spending time seeing it thru a 4 inch wedge of silica and diodes missing the "big picture"… "Hold on, I have to catch this, I want to film this, Oh I need pictures of this" while life is going right by them!

*** oh, and lots of "deep fried" images that are most always over processed.
I primarily shoot sports, but I believe the following observation applies to other genres of photograph as well.

When I take a picture and if it comes out exactly what the spectators next to me see, then I fail (usually). In this case I let the action (contents of the picture) do all the work and I as a photographer simply record the event. Unless the action is amazing, the picture will turn out to be quite ordinary. To me this is what iPhone users do. They simply point and shoot, and let the contents do all the work.

I will try to create a look that's different from what someone standing next to me sees. I may use panning to create motion. I may play with backlit subjects to create silhouettes. I may use a long lens to isolate subjects. I may use a wide angle lens to exaggerate features of subjects close to me. I may look for emotional responses that others miss. There are so many ways to create a different look, and that's what make photography fun, and it creates contents superior to iphone pictures.

As an example, many times I go to a road race (running) and I see a photographer standing behind the finish line and take pictures of every runner crossing the line. This is necessary if your objective is recording every runner and show them their pictures afterwards. But as a sportshooter we want to be creative and move around the course looking for interesting things/runners to shoot.
+1 for both...

Apple can say what it wants. It wouldn't matter what device was taking the most photos on the planet. That doesn't mean that everyone sees those photos or that they are being published.

But it takes a lot of gumption to claim you are the downfall of an entire profession. That's just idiotic and a head too full of hot air.

Apple can say what it wants. It wouldn't matter what device was taking the most photos on the planet. That doesn't mean that everyone sees those photos or that they are being published.

But it takes a lot of gumption to claim you are the downfall of an entire profession. That's just idiotic and a head too full of hot air.
Except Apple never made that claim... OP is putting words into Apples mouth.

Except Apple never made that claim... OP is putting words into Apples mouth.
Nah...Apple is claiming it.

Published on Apr 25, 2013
Every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera.

That makes the downfall of SLR in the between the lines to me. It devalues photography and the profession.

Nah...Apple is claiming it.

Published on Apr 25, 2013
Every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera.
How is that claiming they are the downfall of a profession?

Its a fact that iphones are taking more pics than any other device. That isn't bragging.

Knowing the world of fan boys and their attitudes towards other brands. This commercial shows everyone using an iPhone and not a real phone. It shows photography from a miniature device and their software doing the work. I believe it is a take away from a skill and art.

Knowing the world of fan boys and their attitudes towards other brands. This commercial shows everyone using an iPhone and not a real phone. It shows photography from a miniature device and their software doing the work. I believe it is a take away from a skill and art.
Okey dokey.

There was a rough equivalent some years ago, the Polaroid Land camera. I owned one after selling my Nikkormat and lenses back in the late 1960's. The parallel is tenuous because the quality was pretty crappy and the images faded quickly. Hard to believe the images I took on vacation in Scotland and elsewhere are well below the resolution of todays smart phones.

Very well stated! I generally don't shoot sports - I shoot mostly landscapes and nature, but this holds true for me as well. I'm not happy just recording a scene for posterity. For me, the fun of photography is creating an image that evokes an emotion. Sometimes I achieve that goal - mostly I don't. But therein lies the challenge and the fun.

Most iPhone/cellphone shooters don't even try to achieve anything more than recording the moment IMO. Frankly, if that's all that photography was, I'd be doing something else.

I shoot mostly landscapes and nature, but this holds true for me as well. I'm not happy just recording a scene for posterity. For me, the fun of photography is creating an image that evokes an emotion. Sometimes I achieve that goal - mostly I don't. But therein lies the challenge and the fun.

Most iPhone/cellphone shooters don't even try to achieve anything more than recording the moment IMO. Frankly, if that's all that photography was, I'd be doing something else.
I agree. And pretty much agree with much of what has been said on this.
To the point of the thread now, Apple is only claiming what is pretty much true, but that can be said for any of the camera phones. How many photos either of them is shooting means nothing to the camera industry, or to true photography enthusiasts. We do as the second do not care about how many we shoot, but how well we shoot what we were shooting. Now for some in the camera industry they might see the numbers as something, and that is only the trending people, who quite frankly get it wrong most of the time. Sure the CPs may be shooting more photos, but that is merely because most of the planet has a phone with a camera, and they carry that phone almost 100% of the time, so naturally that camera will get more use.
I on the other hand carry my Dslr about 100% of the time, and my what is now considered a dumb phone. And that is the way it should be for me at least. :biggrin:

For a little over 100 years, photography has been the one hobby enjoyed by more people around the world than any other. The devices have ranged from bellows style, 120 size film to iPhones.

A Samuel mentioned, the iPhone and other phones and devices with camera's, are the new Instamatics. Polaroid's had professional level versions and consumer models.

Photography survived. Instead of ending up in a shoe box, lot's of photographs end up on line. Thom Hogan has pointed out that the learning curve with the digital camera is much faster, with an increasing demand for quality.

Who knows, maybe even more people will be inspired by what they do to try and do it even better?

But Apple did not claim that they have ended serious photography.

Newspapers need to cut costs as there are newer better ways to get news. Getting rid of photogs is one way.

Of course thee are reasons other than convenience why newspaper sales are down. They are political so I will not get into it here.

(...)But the message of the commercial does ring partially true, with practically everyone carrying some sort of smart phone with a camera there are so many digital images out there to be harvested. Maybe times really are a changing?
I think there's two ways of looking at it.

1. Photography is the art/craft/skill of picture taking
Who cares if you use Speedgraphic, a digital SLR or a glorified pocket calculator (albeit not as good as an HP15C but I digress) to take the picture? Isn't it the person operating the camera who determines what the picture is? The camera is but a small (but important) link. The smartphones have opened up photography as a form of self expression for so many people. Even if 99% of the smartphone owners doesn't care, 1% does. What other company can single handedly say "we got tens of millions of people interested in photography?"

2. Photography is all about the gear
Gearniks unite! How dare these imposters taint the Holy Art of Photography with their instagram abominations, their facebook albumns, their Flickr pages? Taking pictures should only by reserved for those who have an SLR. And buying an SLR should only be allowed for those who passed an exam in which they show deep understanding about shutterspeed, ISO, pixels, aperture, and bokeh. On second thought, scrap bokeh. That gets a little bit too artsy and away from pure pixel peeking perfectness.

Warning: I might show some bias in these descriptions although I tried to be as impartial as possible*.

*For those of you who are taking this too serious... don't.

Ever heard of Instagram? Maybe not but I am sure you have heard of FaceBook - but social medias (Owned by Facebook incidentally) which have the biggest viewership not even imagined in people's wildest dreams 10 years ago - I alone have 17,000 followers on Instagram whereas I had very few views here and other photo sharing platforms.

CNN and over news media have Instagram and Facebook accounts - which links to Twitter and other social media platforms

The gumpion comes from reality and facts in recent news organization staff changes, layoffs and ways to gather images and video from anyone with a smart phone for these news organizations.

It cost less - often time free, specially attractive when more and more people spend less time reading the papers, online or in prints and get their news in soundbites and short YouTube videos... being retransmitted on major news channels - I was once contacted by MSNBC to use on of my YouTube video...

To say I used to have a slew of Nikon Cameras and Lens and that now I mainly if only use an iPhone to make pictures ... is shocking to some.

The future is in mobile photography for everyday and even professional use - not in DSLRs, that's a truly outdated format.

Yes more and more images are made with iPhones and other smart phones - and they are viewed by more people than images made with DSLRs

Think about it... I have followers on Instagram than there are registered members in Nikon Cafe ... yet I only use an iPhone, how do you like them apples.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom