Apple testing bigger phones ...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: LOL… I just crack up laughing when I read this as it reminds me of the time when you use to get transistor radios that fitted into your top pocket, then as time went on they turned into those huge boom boxes :eek: that had to be carried on people’s shoulders, and now it’s back down to even smaller radio/MP3 players that fit back into your top pocket…

Ahhh…!!!! How the cycle of progression and fads just keeps going around and around… :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I guess that's why I have always worn jeans and a tee shirt... :smile:
Never goes out of date... :rolleyes:...

I've got a 5" Galaxy S3, Tab 7" and Tab 10". I would like something which is roughly the reading size of a magazine for around the house along with a more comfortable screen keyboard. The latter is why tablets have never made it as data entry devices. I get tired of straining to see text on the smaller screens. Apple is behind the competition on phone screens and playing catchup. Elegant design, like fashion, ages quickly; users want increasing functionality.

I am very happy with my iPad Mini -- it can go wherever I go and it's easier to read than the screen on my iPhone. At night at home it's ideal for using in bed. I have found, though, that when sitting out on my deck in nice weather that I actually prefer the larger iPad 3 -- easier to see things on it when it's positioned on a table out there.

I have also found over the past several years that I use my iPads much more than the iPhone (except for phone calls, of course!) Almost tempted to next time around to forget the whole smartphone business and simply go with a "dumb" phone again and use the iPads for all my away-from -home data, which is pretty much what I seem to do anyway.

It's funny how differently everybody uses the exact same things. We have two original iPads and one iPad3 in the house, and my wife and I each have iPhones (5 for me, 4S for my wife). We almost exclusively do our browsing and email on our phones, or our laptops. We hardly use the iPads. Our 4-year-old son uses all three iPads depending on which games or kid shows have been uploaded to a particular device at some point in time.

I really like the iPad with the retina screen, but it would see a lot more use from me if I could one-hand it like I can with an iPhone. The only time I have to browse stuff at home, I have either a baby or a dog in my lap, trying to drink a cup of coffee, and one-handed manipulation becomes a top priority. Maybe a retina iPad Mini would work, I dunno. But for my phone, it's about as big as I'd like it, as I carry it in my pocket. While a big screen can be easier on the eyes, a thinner and narrower phone disappears nicely into the pocket, while a phablet would annoy me to no end every time I sat down.

I'm interested in a bigger screen for the iPhone, but not at the expense of battery life, which as been the story from Apple about a larger screen.

Matt, I'm with you. I do MOST of my browsing on my phone, simply for ease of use. It's ALWAYS in my pocket. I also have my 15" MPB, but it's too heavy and cumbersome to ALWAYS carry around with me and I have an air card for it. I have the iPad mini but it's more of a hassle to carry it around with me if I'm just running out for a lil while.

I was wanting something with a bigger scene, a tweener for my phone and iPad mini. I just tried going to the The Samsung Note 2. IT's HUGE compared to the iPhone, but forget about one handed operation!!! LOL The theory behind it is great, but its immense size was too much for me, so I had to return it. I went back to my iPhone. If Apple doesn't come out with a bigger screen and better battery life I'm heading to Android.

Personally, I think the iPad disrupted the market and what I see in this, and other threads, is an evolution.

The iPhone has a great number of apps that many find useful. It can do email, but I prefer to deal with email on my iPad. I can do video calling in my iPad and my iPhone, but for business, it never happens.

I personally thought think the iPhone is/was the sweet spot for form factor. An integrated phone/tablet about the iPad Mini size could be the future...for a while

After having an iPhone since the first gen, I sold my 4s and went to a Galaxy S3 and love it. It's not perfect but neither is the iPhone. I now have an iPhone 5 for work and it's still a night and day difference between the two. The iphone 5 is still small and the stretched screen is truly a joke at a "larger screen".

The note 2 is a little too large IMO so the Galaxy S3 so far seems to be the perfect balance between a larger screen and a pocketable device. I can use it with one hand just fine.

I wouldn't mind going back to an iPhone but I won't fall for this stretch screen crap anymore.

I have the S3 and got it early last fall. After using the iPhone and seeing my S3 my youngest son got the S4 for his teenagers. I am deep green with envy, but I have to wait. Frankly though, other than a minimally larger screen the S4 doesn't do much more than my S3. I do like the new Samsung no power cord charging capability. I must get caught once a week with a near-dead S3.:actions1:

Funny story. My eldest grand daughter was taking birthday celebration photos with her S3 and clicked on a posting button to send it to Facebook and suddenly it appeared on the LG television my wife was watching in the bedroom. (DLNA). I called her in and she was shocked to see the phone's image on the large screen. I didn't know you could do that! You learn something new every day.

My thoughts on the matter :biggrin:
p1702915024-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1721332643-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Its is so sad in Job's untimely death, or we could play twister on the iMat.

I watch people talking on their supersized phones, I almost want to pull out my flip 14" laptop put it to my head and start using it as a phone.. then we'll have come full circle.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom