Apple Watches Looking Pretty Good

I quit wearing ANY watch...when I retired 7 1/2 yrs ago. Gonna keep it that way, methinks.
NOW if they make one that'll direct deposit my SS check and have funds available at the
flick of the wrist :rolleyes: for brewpub purchases/Starbucks etc., I'd be all in. :ROFLMAO:

Well......you can get notifications from your bank when your SS check has been direct-deposited and then you can hop over to Starbucks and use the watch for Apple Pay -- a flick of the wrist and you're set! :)

Well......you can get notifications from your bank when your SS check has been direct-deposited and then you can hop over to Starbucks and use the watch for Apple Pay -- a flick of the wrist and you're set! :)
Of course, but realize my post was tongue firmly in cheek...it'll be years
before our 30+ microbreweries have THAT "wrist" action employed. :dead:

My son bought one, it arrived this week. For a company that makes "green" claims, Apple should take a look at the watch packaging. The version he got shipped arrived in a solid block of plastic that felt excessive given what was inside it. When the box got here, I signed for it and couldn't believe it was a watch, the box was heavy because of that large chunk of plastic with the watch inside the plastic. I like the design of most Apple products, the watch falls short when compared to many of their products. I'd never buy one, and from what I'm seeing in press this is common sentiment. The watch is bombing.

When I worked my friends and colleagues called me 'gadget man.' I still follow technology and acquire some interesting items (Sony A7II, 256 gb upgrade to my 128 gbMacBook Air, power meter for my Fuji Roubaix road bike) but an Apple phone? Ah....no thanks; there are a lot more practical gizmos to buy before I die.

Rich

My son bought one, it arrived this week. For a company that makes "green" claims, Apple should take a look at the watch packaging. The version he got shipped arrived in a solid block of plastic that felt excessive given what was inside it. When the box got here, I signed for it and couldn't believe it was a watch, the box was heavy because of that large chunk of plastic with the watch inside the plastic. I like the design of most Apple products, the watch falls short when compared to many of their products. I'd never buy one, and from what I'm seeing in press this is common sentiment. The watch is bombing.

That plastic box IS heavy, isn't it?! I was surprised, too, when I bought my watch at the Apple store. Actually, though, the box is quite useful. I have one half of it out here in the living room and the other half in the bedroom for use at those times when I need to take the watch off but don't need to put it on the charger. For instance, this afternoon I'll be heading out to our condo community swimming pool and that is when all my electronics stay safely at home. I will simply slip the watch off and set it into the box on the computer desk. Sometimes when I haven't worn the watch all day I don't need to recharge it at night so that's when I use the other half of the plastic box to give the watch a safe resting place in the bedroom until I'm up the next morning. I have a Mophie Watch Dock for the times when I do need to recharge it and that works out quite nicely, too.

I think that with the anticipated software update for the watch's OS that there will be some improvements that will add even more value to the watch than it already has been offering those of us who already own and use one.

Real Name
Mike
A few people where I work are very upset that they can't wear their new Apple watches in the buildings. We have a strict policy of no personal electronic devices, especially Wi-Fi or bluetooth devices.

For instance, this afternoon I'll be heading out to our condo community swimming pool and that is when all my electronics stay safely at home. I will simply slip the watch off and set it into the box on the computer desk.

You do realize that you can swim with your watch on? It's more water proof than Apple is letting on. Watch this video if you haven't seen it already

Real Name
Mike
Why's that, Mike? So that means no phones either.
The buildings are secure facilities, so no phones, iPods, USB devices, cameras, laptops, radios, etc.. Some try to bring the items in, but the consequences when caught tend to be severe and usually serve as a reminder to others. Any prohibited item found inside the buildings is not returned and is usually destroyed later.

You do realize that you can swim with your watch on? It's more water proof than Apple is letting on. Watch this video if you haven't seen it already

NO WAY I'm taking my nearly-$1200 Space Black Stainless Steel Apple Watch with Space Black Stainless Steel link bracelet to the pool and diving in with it...... Yes, I know that some people with the significantly less expensive Sports Watch don't hesitate to wear it in the heat and in the pool. They can take risks with their electronics if they want, but I choose not to do so. I don't take any of my devices to the pool, not even my hearing aids, because I am well aware that heat and electronic devices are not a good mix. So, I can't hear real well while someone's trying to chat with me at the pool? Too bad... I'd rather read a paperback or hardcover book from the library, too, than risk damage to one of my iPads or my iPhone in the fierce summer sun. (Not to mention the possibility of theft when I am not right there with the device and instead would be swimming in the pool.) Whatever......

Yeah, I know......LOL! Figured I'd use the watch every day whereas I don't always go out shooting every day, and to be honest, the cameras and lenses I've already got haven't been getting a lot of action from me lately, except on occasional special events over the past several months. Last couple of trips I actually just used my Sony RX100 M3, and it served the purpose quite nicely for the situations I was in. Let me tell you, that camera is no slouch when it comes to being able to capture some things very well -- I've been very happy with it. Thing looks like some innocuous little P&S and yet there's plenty of power and control under that hood......although it doesn't have an extensive reach when it comes to telephoto, what it does capture within its parameters (I think it's 24-70mm) it does quite nicely. Last weekend I was at an outdoor concert, used it and was pleased with the results I had on a few shots.

With the updates in technology in current E-mount lenses a while ago I figured no point in buying something that the NEX-7 might not be able to handle well, so have held off on that and have just used what I've already got for it. Haven't really gotten excited about any Nikon camera bodies or lenses in a long time, as I'm really happy with the lighter-weight, smaller footprint Sony line. Still using my Nikon gear that I already have, though, but have from time to time considered selling a couple lenses that I really am not using much at all these days. Some day I'll get around to seriously taking stock of what I have and what I am using or not using and decide accordingly.....

So in the meantime I was setting aside a few pennies during the three, almost four months' time that it took Apple to finally have their watches available for purchase in the Apple retail stores, and when the time came, went in, tried on watches again (had done so briefly back in April) and made my decision...... So far I've been very pleased with my gorgeous shiny black Apple watch! So now I'm once again putting aside a few pennies , this time in anticipation of the launch of the ever-so-elusive Sony A7000 or whatever they're going to call the successor to the NEX-7...... :) I figure that whenever it is finally released, I can take in my NEX-7 and trade it in, maybe with a lens or two, and that will help defray the costs as well. Or, who knows, maybe Apple will come along with some other goodie that I just can't resist and I'll wind up buying it instead?! LOL!

Last edited:
When Apple was first promoting their new Apple Watch, one thing they often said was, "it's the most personal device we have ever created." Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, guess what, they're right! Today I finally got around to putting my own photos on my Apple watch to use as watch faces, and let me tell you, it's really, really cool and definitely feels very personal to flick my wrist and glance at the time and the date and one of my own images..... :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom