1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

APPLE WWDC next week...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by bozola, Jun 4, 2013.

1. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Predictions anyone?

iOS 7 and a new version of Mac OS.

Watch? TV? Mac Pros? Laptops?

Better yet. Dissapointment or Joy?

2. Airdrop for iOS could be nice....

3. There is nothing Apple can tempt me with, There is nothing Apple can tempt me with,There is nothing Apple can tempt me with>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

4. a new and improved Mac Pro :smile:

5. iOS 7, iPhone 5s, streaming music service that'll somehow manage to still force the use of iTunes, a television that manages the same feat.

I'm betting they introduce something new to compete with the Surface Pro (or at least suggest something). If they don't do it here, I bet we see something before year's end. That said, I love my Surface Pro!

6. At this point it is still a rumor. We can still hope.

7. On the other hand, using thunderbolt implies that all expansion could easily be external. If there are multiple thunderbolt ports, the process of adding peripherals (video capture, advanced sound options, optical drives, additional storage, eSATA, etc) would be a much more user friendly process than opening up a case and adding cards. The obvious gap here is the current lack of thunderbolt peripherals, but even that is currently mitigated by the Sonnet thunderbolt breakout box for adding pcie cards (although not cheap).

Though only rampant speculation, this would also imply strongly the lack of need for a "big box" type case. A box big enough to hold a dual processor mobo, cooling, and a PSU plus a few ports (USB, thunderbolt, presumably video via hdmi, sound out and in) and essentially you're looking a bigger version of a Mac mini. Any other expansion via thunderbolt and USB 3 would literally be a plug and play procedure.

Based on Apple's "keep it simple" philosophy, this makes perfect sense, and actually sounds like an appealing option for the vast majority. Granted, one might lose the ability to crack open the case and add a new video card, but if you're using a breakout box like the Sonnet for such a device, that's still an option. There's also the fact that the impending Intel Haswell chips are implementing video technology equal to mid-line graphics cards currently available (eliminating their need for all but hardcore gamers and professional video editing and the highest end CAD 3D software). The upcoming desktops would certainly implement the higher end Haswell processors.

Computers are undergoing a pretty major evolution right now. Better hang on tight!

I'd also add that Intel has stated that they will be moving away from user replaceable CPUs. The did say they would continue to build such chips for the enthusiast crowd, basic computers will be going back to the old soldered in component model of years back. The evolution of far more powerful chips requiring very low power really does create the ability to make very small, yet still very powerful machines that will require upgrading less frequently (ideally). My guess is, though, that the the phrase "enthusiast crowd" will be synonymous with "very expensive". Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  8. The main issues with the scenario you describe are cost and clutter.

Regarding clutter, I have a Mini and it is a wonderful little system. But I had to do major surgery just to add a 2nd hard drive. I also have a second box about 1.5 x the size of the Mini sitting on top of it to add another hard drive and an optical drive. To get to the hard drive complement I had on my old Mac Pro would require an even larger stack and the cable snarl that goes with that. And this only gets me USB3 speeds. There is no possibility of upgrading the video or adding other interconnects internally. Which brings us to thunderbolt.

Regarding cost, getting a Mini-like system to the level of my former Mac Pro (with contemporary-performance components) would double the cost of such a system and spread its components across my office. No thanks.

A simple tower (or even mid-tower) box with room for at least 3 hard drives, an optical drive and slots to add/upgrade video, etc is what I want. If Apple does not produce it, I will get along for now with my Mini and, if/when I actually NEED more power, it may be back to the Windows world for me.

9. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Was the mini 2nd drive really extensive surgery? The video @ macsales.com looks doable. Sure, you have to disassemble the entire mini, but it looks straightforward. I have been thinking of doing this myself.

10. It is not difficult but it is not something I would do more than once because of the potential for damaged cable connectors (they are quite small and not designed for multiple insertions). Contrast that with the easy pop-out/pop-in of drives in the Mac Pro (and the availability of expansion slots), all with multiple insertions in mind.

If you choose to do the drive-doubler, one thing the video does not mention is that the black plastic bezel on the back has a clip on either side that must be compressed to remove it and to get it properly back in place. Not a big deal, just a gentle squeeze but it can hang you up until you figure that out. I sent them feedback and hope they update the video or add a note to the instructions.

11. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Thanks Doug!

Finally.. was the improvement worthwhile?

12. Yes. Boots fast. File transfers are fast. Most apps run about the same. Some, like PS CS6, seem a bit snappier when dealing with ludicrous-size images (layers add up :biggrin:)  but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

Having a second HD in the Mini is nice and contributes to fast file handling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.