Apples Aperture (Digital Darkroom)

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by mike mac, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Just saw this on Apples website the program is called Aperture and it is designed for the Professional Photographer. List price is 500.00
    Check it out
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    now you got me excited, thanks for sharing this.

Ron

3. It looks awesome; maybe I can replace CS2 and Capture with one fast workflow rotine. Wow! Thanks for the info!

4. Peter
    That is what I am hoping for, we shall see

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Yeah, looks rather promising to me. I'll play around with it some at Apple's booth at the PhotoPlus Expo this weekend. The RAW workflow looks like it's much more streamlined than what I used to. So, who's going to be the first to buy??

6. Hi Mike
    It's not that straightforward, though, methinks. If one delves deeper into the apple site you'll find the recommended hardware is way beyond what I have - a 1.8Mhz G5 is the MINIMUM requirement, the recommended is (for me in SA, at least, serious money) - dual processors, etc. But watching the video tour and some of the features, it does look like it really can deliver the goods at speed. But I don't quite have the money for a whole new system :-( ...I'll need a few more commissions!

7. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Peter, did not see that. Yeah, I'll need an entirely new machine, too...and considering I just bought a Powerbook for field work, that's not going to happen very soon. Oh well...

8. Peter,
    Believe it or not I just won through a promotion of my computer vendor at work a dual G5 2.7 with 4 gig memory and two 300 gig drives and a Apple 23 inch HD cinema Display. This is my first Mac I have been using PC's for years but find the Mac interface very intuitive so far still a long way to go. I just finished setting it up and processed my first set of pictures on it yesterday. It blazes through capture and CS2. Here are a link to the first shots, I calibrated the screen with a spyder one profiler
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55717

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Mike Mac - I dunno what to say actually, or at least in what order --
    1. That is an amazing prize. Here that would cost at least 7-8000 USD !!! You are one really lucky winner!!!!
    2. Once a Mac, and you'll never look back!
    3. I do really like Capture. It's so much more refined than CS2. And the latest version is not really that slow. What is an issue is that, despite having Tiger and all the updates, and all the Capture updates, it bombs out on me at least once or twice a night, ONLY while saving, and usually when I've just done a very complex rather than easy post job. Sigh.
    4. Last but certainly not least, some excellent hockey images there, thanks for sharing.

Best

Peter

10. Peter I too find Capture much easier to use and only use PS to crop and resize and sharpen. I have not experienced it failing but find Nikon View terrible to work with I have download and am using Photo Mechanic which loads the NEF's for preview very quickly.
    I have a question I am using a Dazzle USB card reader and it takes for ever to transfer the files what type of reader do you use I was thinking of getting a fire wire reader. Thanks for any tips you could provide.

11. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Mike,

If you use Sandisk cards, they have a new card reader which takes advantage of the quick read and write speeds for the Extreme III line. I use it and it makes loading images so much quicker, at least IMO.

12. Hi Mike
    My card reader is built into one of my drives, a Western Digital 250GB. It does all the formats. It's not the fastest, but I get to drink lots of coffee. But your machine will support USB2 which aint too bad. Ever since I plugged the USB cord from my then D2H into my Mac direct and felt a mild electronic shock, I've always used a card reader. It happened about the time of the failing light meters; I guess I felt that caution was the better side to err on.

13. Mike you lucky dog! I've been lusting for a G5. It looks like Apeture doesn't support the D2X yet.

14. Scott
    I believe it does it is listed as a supported camera in fact some screen grabs show files from the D2X

15. Wow, this could be a major development... Apple applying the same power and elegance to still photography that they have to video and music... Whoa! It's about time a big time player jumped into the RAW workflow.

Looking forward to the reviews and warming up my credit card.

Woody

16. Mike, I did see a D2X in one of the video's...........darn, there goes another $3500.

G5 Mac = $3000
    Apeture = $500
    Fun for Me = Priceless

17. LMAO
    I just switched to Mac my system is less than a week old and still figuring it all out quite an impressive System and OS I think I am going to enjoy this

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

You are one evil guy. :rolleyes:

Looks real good. Now, If I can just come up with $12,000 (for the 200-400VR and the Mac and the Aperture). :frown:

19. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

20. How about that quad? You should see how fast they are.