AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ozarkshome, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Got one, hooked it up. Great device. Displays photos wonderfully well on a HDTV. And does all that other cool stuff too. In addition to being able to view photos full screen when one is playing music it will display several of them on the screen at the same time in screen saver mode.

Awesome device.

2. that is cool news Larry. I will look into one of those soon. My Airport extreme device is due here soon so I will play with that first.
    Dave

3. Dave, the new AE base station is great, stronger signal than the older one. Piece of cake to set up and the AppleTV communicates very well through it. More information about the AppleTV on the MacOSG podcast #72, listen in when you get a chance.

4. You can upgrade the hard drives on them..nice!

5. Of course doing so probably voids the warranty.

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I was really looking forward to this device. Last weekend, I went down to one of the local Apple stores to check it out. Gotta say I'm disappointed with the picture quality of movies and other videos. The photo display was much sharper, IMO.

It's still an interesting device, but it dropped a few spots on my "gotta have it" radar. I think I'll wait to see what improvements shake out in the next couple of months.

7. I don't think it voids the warranty at all.

You can have TechRestore.com do it if you want.

8. The content determines the output quality. HD content is available or may be home brewed.

John R., you may be correct. I just figured if it was home modified that the warranty would be void.

9. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    The content I saw in the Apple Store was the movie "The Incredibles." If they can't show that without pixel degradation, I don't have much hope for anything else.

In particular, I was watching the scene where Dash is on top of that flying thing and fighting with the pilot. The edges of his eyes were noticeably jagged. All of the outlines seemed jagged.

10. I would guess that the downloads from iTunes are low res for iPods. I imagine they will be coming out with better stuff fairly soon. The device will play higher quality stuff, just a matter of getting or making it. BBC has some HD content and there are others.

11. Macanudo

Macanudo Guest

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comments on the AppleTV.

I am avid mac fan, but having recently purchased a TiVO S3 and a Sony PS3 (Christmas), can't see spending the money on the AppleTV right now. I have really enjoyed using the PS3 to view pictures (by copying them to a USB flash drive). The networked TiVO will read the photos directly from the mac, even in HD, but I think the quality of the Playstation 3 is much better.

Do you use Democracy on the mac? If you do, con you see the Democracy video on the AppleTV?

12. Ralph, sorry, I have not used Democracy so can't give you an answer.

13. Here is the link to a few jpg photos being displayed on an AppleTV. None were edited to fill the HDTV frame, sorry.

14. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I've read a few reviews, including a scathing one from AP. Most seem to have the same impression as I did. This thing just doesn't have the video quality necessary for someone who's already invested in a widescreen HDTV.

I'll wait for another revision before I plunk money down on this one.

15. Any quality problem is not due to the AppleTV, it is due to the content they are playing. HD can be played on it, just has to be properly converted for it. Kind of the old GIGO situation.

I believe that the Washington Post is producing some HD videos for it. More content will follow.

16. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It doesn't matter, Larry. The content came from iTunes. The Apple TV came from Apple. If it looks bad in the store, it's not worth $300.

If this is GIGO, then Apple is selling expensive garbage.

17. William
    I have seen some pretty impressive demos of this product and do not feel like it is junk at all.
    I hope to pick one up as soon as I move to the new home.

18. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I would hope that it's not junk, but my initial viewing at the Apple store convinced me to NOT purchase it when I went down there full intending to carry one home with me.

I'm not sure that I agree with Larry's assertion that the jagged edge and other image degradation issues I saw were due to the content. The movie I saw there, "The Incredibles", is one I've purchased and viewed a few times on my MacBook Pro. I didn't see any IQ problems on the screen at home. It's hard to imagine that they'd use a degraded subset of that movie for their demo intended to sell the product.

Right now, I'm unconvinced. I'll check it out next time I'm at the Apple store, or perhaps the local Best Buy/Circuit City places. My guess now is that Apple will have to revise the quality a bit. Many of the reviews I've read online show me that I'm not alone in being disappointed with this one.

19. William,
    iPod content from iTunes will not play in HD. This is not Apple's fault. As the content providers recognize that their stuff will be played on the AppleTV they will improve the quality of their content. The Washington Post has already started supplying HD content and others will follow. If you have no patience then don't buy it. Your loss, not mine.

20. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I don't understand how you decided that I don't have patience. If anything, I'm waiting for this product to get better instead of plunking down good money for something that isn't ready.

You keep refering to iPod content from iTunes. Apple markets this product (Apple TV) as getting its content from iTunes. Clearly, it's supposed to be useful without having an iPod. Your logic about blaming iPod content for a poor video on Apple TV escapes me.