Approaching Hurricane Dennis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eng45ine, Jul 8, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I would like to think that our members have tremendous common sense and realize that the approaching hurricane means that taking proper shelter or even evacuating is priority one if they live in the area where the storm may make landfall. None of us need to see sensational storm shots if it means threatening your well-being. :shock: Protect yourself and your families first...the images are not important!!!

2. My brother lives in Pensacola. Last year, he stayed through the big hurricane. It blew his roof off down to the plywood. He just finished rebuilding about 3 months ago. Now this one. I told him to move. But, He loves it in Florida. He is not even a photographer. Go figure?

Hopefully, this storm will weaken and not be a big deal.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mark,

I hope that everything works out okay for your brother. Living in the midwest, I can't imagine what it must be like waiting for an approaching storm wondering if the damage will wipe our home away...not to even mention our lives. Although we supposedly live in tornado alley, we live 25 miles away from Lake Michigan which always seems to keep any storms from becoming too severe.

I have a friend that owns a home in Fort Meyers Beach and there are homes in his sub-division that are still under re-construction from the last storm because certain building supplies are tough to find. I guess when you live in an area where storms are more prevelant, you get accustom to the threat.

Well, hopefully your brother, his family and his property will just get some rain and no damage...we'll all keep our fingers crossed!

4. Not sure if there's anyone here from the far tip of the panhandle but I know Russ Smith is in Tallahassee. He may have evacuated based on the projections. It's a nasty one and so early in the season.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am on the East Coast of florida. We have grey skys and some light wind at the moment.

Kevin what is it like in Orlando.

We do not want another "last" year anywhere that is for sure.

This is way to early in the year. No we don't get used to it. Just hope like heck they won't happen.

My best to all those in the path of this Hurricane.

The crazy surfers love this. eeeekkk Know a few that drove to the west coast to surf. Not smart in my thoughts.

6. Hey Gale, right now it's mostly gray outside but you can see the outer bands blowing through. Took my daughter to a cheerleading camp about 7am and ran into some rain bands but nothing too bad. With this particular storm the tornadoes are the bad side effect for us. Probably won't see terribly strong winds or rain. It was a Cat 4 yesterday, currently at Cat 2 but they expect it to increase in strength as it continues to move over the 87* waters of the Gulf throughout the day.

7. For those who might be interested to get some idea of what an impending hurricane looks like, here's a picture from last year's Charlie (the worst that hit us). This was early evening just a few hours before the worst arrived. It was taken with my 3mp Canon G1 so not the best but hopefully you can see the ominous-ness of the outer fringe of the hurricane.

[​IMG]

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin that is a good image. One to often see last year.

this season is not looking good and way to early.

We really got nothing on Sun. Hot humid and no air. Typical after the passing of these storms, as it suck the air away. Look foward to extremly hot and humid next few days with little air.
    Ekkks these storms are awful.

Hope everyone fairs well.

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Wild Man is a member here since April 30 although he has never posted. He is from Navarre which took a direct hit from Dennis. Maybe we'll hear from him.