April Moon

A friend came over last evening to get advice on taking moon photos so he could help his son with a school project. I decided I would also practice a bit and set up my telescope with my D200 at prime focus ( aka attached to the telecope as if it were a Nikon lense).

I snapped off a few using the mirror lock up and remote release. I am very pleased with the result I got. There is even a decent amount of color.

1251523062_6fZQ9-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shot using a D200 mounted at prime focus to an Orion ED80 refractor. Manual focus, mirror lock up, remote release. Manual exposure at ISO 800, 1/640, f/8, 0EV, WB set to sunny. Some post-processing in PS CS3 to increase contrast, saturate, crop, resize, and sharpen.

Excellent image! The kind of stuff that may get a youngster hooked on Photography.

David

Amazing photo!

Exactly what I was thinking. I may look in to a telescope for my son. He already took over my spare camera and it would be fun to make a desert camping trip out of it.

Dean,

The Orion ED80 is a very nice scope with superior optics. You would be very pleased. Another option is to look at somethinmg like the Orion Apex series of spotting scopes. They are compact and have long focal lengths. They are well suited for earth-bound as well as lunar and planetary viewing.

One of the nicest moon shots I've seen. Good amount of colour and craters. Very sharp. This one is well worth the efforts.

britinjapan, thanks for

taking the time to comment. Hope all is well in Tokyo, especially with regard to radiation. I don't know what to believe from the news.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom