Aquae Sulis...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Jez, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    ...or as we now call it: Bath, England. Had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful town between Christmas and New Year, only for a day but worth every hour spent there.

The Roman Baths there are a World Heritage Site and are stunning. There's a geological fault in this location which produces a hot spring - this captivated the primitive people in the area, who were convinced that this mysteriously hot water came from the Gods and held healing properties. The Romans settled there and built a series of Temples and Baths which you can now walk round. But the air of mystery and ancient Gods still hangs over the hot waters.....

[​IMG]

The combination of cold weather and hot water made for some very atmospheric conditions.....

[​IMG]

And as you walk round the dark corridors you can't help but wonder who's footsteps have fallen here before you.....

[​IMG]

There must be something in the water though, as the local squirrels were very friendly. They must like Nikons.....

[​IMG]

(This was taken with the 12-24 so you know how close I got!)

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  2. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Jez
    For some reason the pictures are not showing on my machine although I can get to them from the address. They are lovely, very evocative. One of my favourite cities. There is also a section of Regency houses behind the baths on the hill that is magnificent. And the iron bridge etc.....

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I can go to the link and copy paste to address bar and I can see the images. Not sure what is wrong though. Looks ok to me. Maybe smug having probs.

I saw two of them..
    Very interesting and nice effect.

4. I went into you post to see if I could find anything wrong, I couldn't. Perhaps Smugmug is having problems.

5. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Patrick, Gale & Gordon,

Thanks for taking a look - everything seems to be working fine from here at the moment. Like you said, maybe smugmug was having some trouble?

Or maybe it was the mystical powers of the hot springs..... :eek:

:biggrin:

Cheers!

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    It was a very quick visit so we didn't get a chance to see everything, but we definitely want to go back there - maybe when the weather is a bit warmer..... :wink:

There's a definite character to Bath that sets it apart from a lot of other places.