Aquapac Waterproof SLR Case

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by DMcG, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the SLR "bag" from Aquapac (www.aquapac.co.uk) ?

I'm looking into one to protect my D70 from the sea so I can take shots safely from my sea kayak.

2. All depends what you want to protect it from. For paddle spray, this might be suitable, but in case you dump in, I don't think it's going to be enough. If I were you, I'd look into a Pelican case to carry the camera in until you reach your shooting area. I don't shoot with my camera in a casing but I do keep it in a waterproof casing when paddling across channels or in choppy water.
    Just remember to tether any bags to your kayak because if you go over, they'll either sink or else they'll float away....
    Safe paddling!

3. The manufacturer claims 100% waterproof to 5m - and that it floats.
    Obviously I'd do some testing before trusting my D70 to it (probably with a brick wrapped in tissue paper) - and I'd probably tether it to my kayak somehow - even if it did float. For general transportation, I stick my D70 in a dry bag inside another dry bag in a sealed hold compartment. It doesn't even come out the hold if it looks nasty. :frown:

4. THink about it Dougie, plastic bag with 8 lbs of equipment ain't gonna float at all!!! *LOL* The bag will float when empty but it's simple mathematics - you'd have to have a HUGE amount of air in that bag to compensate for camera/lens weight. Also, yes make sure you do some tests before relying on anything to protect your baby. Glad to hear you're protecting your equipment while paddling - very important!

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I have to agree TOLady, One thing you also need to think about is condensation, just a minute or 2 in cold water will produce a fair amount. I would stick with a pelican case If I were you.

6. Lowepro Dryzone?

Fully functional large backpack.
    Now quite as rapid-access as other backpacks but fully waterproof. I'd trust it in a kayak. I use mine on the Waverunner.

One of these days I'm gonna' get some barbell weights and see how much it takes to sink mine in my pool. Four gallons of air weighs 32 lbs. so it should float 'bout that much.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_200.aspx

7. Vernon, I looked at the Lowepro Dryzone and it was a real b!itch to get open, a lot of tugging and pulling - very stiff zippers, etc. It's OK on the journey but not great for accessing. As far as weight vs floatibility (is there such a word), the minute you fill up the pack, you're displacing the air in the back so I'd disagree about 4 gallons of air still in there. It would be very interesting to see just how much weight you COULD pack in there and still have it float. The tethering, in my opinion, is one of the most important factors. If you dump in, and have to swam away from your craft to retrieve your precious camera equipment, drowing is almost inevitable. Tom Hanks finally had to let Wilson float away in CastAway as he knew he was getting just too far from safety! *LOL* First rule in dumping in: don't leave your boat!

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I don't think it matters what is inside as long as the inside (sealed area) has 4 gallons capacity it will float with anything less then the weight of 4 gallons of water. If you take your kitchen sink and fill it up with water then take a 1 gallon container and start filling the container up it will stay above water until it is completely full. You may have to balance the container because of the dynamics but it will not sink until you fill it.