Arabians doing Dressage

An uncluttered bg was all but impossible to find in the show arena, only the warmup pen had some decent clean angles at times. All shot with D2X/70-200 VR on a monopod. Comments?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Focal Length 150 mm
Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO Equivalent 100
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program aperture priority
View attachment 14598
Focal Length 160 mm
Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO Equivalent 125
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program aperture priority

Hi Steve,

I agree with Virginia, very nice images, crisp, clean, and oh so sharp.

I have been wanting to get out to some of the local stables to shoot. I love horses in the sun. They make for really nice pictures.

I like #1 the best.

Thanks for sharing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Virginia, Ty & Mike,

Guess I should'a spend most of my time over at the warmup pen, instead of the show ring. In going through my folder full of shots, there's just so very few decent shots from the show ring. Should'a taken more ppl pics too. Live and learn I guess!

The first image is a killer. The colors are wonderful, sharpness great and composition excellent. Interesting that both the horse and the girl have the same expression, all business. I'll bet she would love to get her hands on a print of that image.

hans said:
Steve that first one is an eye catcher great timing,distracting background on the second
How is the A4RS doing?
Thanks for the comments Hans. I wish my Audi was an RS4, but it's only a lowly S4 Avant.

greyflash said:
The first image is a killer. The colors are wonderful, sharpness great and composition excellent. Interesting that both the horse and the girl have the same expression, all business. I'll bet she would love to get her hands on a print of that image.
You know what, I took some others of her and her friend, while her mother also took some snaps with her P&S, but I never went over there to talk to her. Wished I would've now. Thanks for commenting.

Congratulations Steve on two beautiful captures. The low sun creates some excellant casts on the horse which accents the musculature. Very nicely done.

Thnx folks, these horses are SO pampered

You would not believe the preparation that goes into these horses just before a show. I'm not even addressing the training, but the bathing, clipping, and the general buffing and oiling, and shining of every little part of their body. Finally, they're sprayed with this fly repellant stuff that REALLY makes em glossy. It's several hrs of prep for each horse. Not only that, but they get a bath between competitions too!! That's why they look so darn shiny!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve as I remember it you've tuned that S4 avant a "little"
Probaly as fast as a RS......

Anyway it's a great machine you've got ,checked prices on Forbes the other day seem to be cheaper in the US than the EU

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom