Arava desert, Israel

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by heiko, Nov 4, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Last month we made a trip to the southern Negev desert and Timna park. Here some pictures.

Sunset over Arava valey and Jordanian Edom mountains in the far back. The dark line on the right of the picture, in front of the mountain range, is the border between Israel and Jordan.
    original.

Another sunset picture of the Arava valey and Jordanian mountains.
    original.

And now the sunset.
    original.

I got up early to see the sunrise (couldn't sleep well as it was so cold in the desert). Here a picture before the sun came out.
    original.

This was the place called Shaharut where we slept.
    original.

Viewpoint over the Arava valey.

original.

Here some pics of the Arava valey at sunrise.

original.

original.

Tell me what you think - critizism welcome!

2. Amazing Place and beutiful views of it. the last is my favorite.
    Dave

3. Looks very barren and desolate but these are some great shots!! Love the colors in the last ones.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots! Thanks for posting them.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful again.

Unbelivable shapes and colors.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Dave, Kevin, Ken and Gale,

Thanks for looking at the pictures and many thanks for the comments. Tomorrow I'll be off to London for a week, and I very much hope to be able to find some time and good opportunities to take some pictures of a very different place.

7. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Heiko,
    Very beautiful landscape.
    One thing that intrigue my curiosity is that I don't see any tree.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, yes, there aren't many trees, if any.

9. I really love the Arava Valley shots at sunset. Excellent.

10. You have some extraordinary light in these. I crossed the border in 1994, from Amman to Jerusalem and back, and these images bring back some strong memories.

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Gordon, I appreciate your comment.

Christian, if you crossed from Amman to Jerusalem and back you probably noticed the rather green mountains on the west side of Jerusalem. If you crossed Jerusalem on the bypass towards Jericho you notice that all of a sudden the landscape turns into a desert with nearly no vegetation. There are some spots near Jerusalem where you can see the green pine trees to the west and the barren landscape towards the east at the same time. I hope to revisit Jerusalem in the near future to take some pictures - it's certainly one of the more remarkable places here in Israel, if not in the world.