Arca Swiss style lens plates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet155, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I need an Arca style plate for my Siggy 300/2.8...the Sigma 300/2.8 has the lens foot with one hole tapped in it though and offers an aftermarket collar TS-41 but I'm not sure the TS-41 has two tapped holes for mounting...

My question is, will a lens plate with one hole like the markins PL-55: PL-55 LINK be sufficient?

2. it looks to me like that is designed for the specific appliction that you have. the anti twist flange should make up for the lack of a second screw. I think it would do the job. Also I must say that what you have presented here is great from the start! perhaps what you are showing is improvement in processing as there is no downside to the first images compared to last.
    Dave

3. Thanks Dave...I haven't tried calling any of the local shops yet but I would bet that I need to order the arca plate online...may as well go with Markins then...I did get a Markins M20-L for Christmas from my mother and father...I'm pretty stoked on it - I want to get into doing some Macro stuff and a sidekick for the wildlife images...

Time to call Markins :)

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

4. In my opinion, the answer to your question is No. I say this for 4 reasons. The first is that the plate you are referring to is a Camera plate, and not a lens plate. The second is that the plate if far too short. What you want is something like this, Jobu Surefoot. I just got one of these for my Sigma 120-300, the same cheesy tripod mount, and while both this and the Markins you refer to have the "anti-twist" feature, the Jobu is significantly longer, which will make balancing on the Sidekick much easier. The other reason to get a lens plate, and not a camera plate, is that plates such as the Jobu have the ability to enable you to mount a flash bracket for telephoto and macro work that will be much closer to the "business end" of your lens rather than the camera. This is what the holes at one end of the plate are for. Oh, yeah, and the other last reason is that these plates have a stop-screw in the ends which prevents the whole thing from being able to slide out of your Arca Swiss mount.

RRS, Kirk and Wimberly all make similar products which I believe would suit this application much better. The other thing about the long lens plate is that it really firms up the cheesy tripod mount that is on the Sigma lens know and is signigicantly less expensive that the $140 B&H wants for the TS-41.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I'll put in a positive note for the Wimberley plates. The folks at Wimberley are knowledgeable and sharp, which should allow you to pose the sorts of questions you have directly to them. Have a look at their stuff at www.tripodhead.com and then telephone them.

John P.

6. I'll agree with John here as well. I, just because as I bought bits and pieces from different companies, I have a combination of Wimberly, Kirk, RRS and Jobu products, and they are all great. One extra nod goes to Wimberly for having the coolest web address :wink:

7. Bill!! In my defense Markins does say the PL-55 is a lens plate for use with the 300/2.8 Sigma...

On to more important matters than my reading comprehension ;) -->

I like the Jobu and your reasoning, should I limit myself to a plate with only one screw mount or go with two for any reason? The wimberly P20 is a single and the P30 is a double screw...

The Jobu is .2" longer than the P20 Wimberly and has the option for double screw mounts...might be the way to go...

Thanks again for all the insight...this is a perfect example of why doing a search and asking some questions prevents some purchasing errors ;)

-Brett

8. Well, in MY defense, from the Markins page you linked:
    "Extra Long Plate for Long Lenses
    The extra long Markins camera plate is useful for secondary holding of longer lenses, and can also be used for macro photography."

So, Markins is Schizo. In the title they say "Lens", then in the details they say "camera" and they call it "secondary holding". Worse yet, the PL-55 is listed on the Camera Plate section of the menu. It's MARKINS fault for causing all this confusion :tongue:

OK, now to the "serious" bits. If I were you, I'd go for a "2-screw" model, simply to give you flexibility in the future if you want to use the plate on another lens. I'd check all of the companies, or at least look at the pages, to see which you like the best. If you end up buying one of the flash brackets, especially from RRS, you need to be sure the plate has a "double-dovetail", this is explained on the RRS site.

Good luck, glad I was able to offer some help.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I concur with Bill about the "two screw model", whichever plate company you go to. I have exactly that on a couple of lenses, and it would seem to be a more secure and less vibration-prone arrangement.

Note also that the Wimberley page (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm) has a specific comment about Sigma lenses, to wit : " Note for Sigma Lenses:
    The above recommendations assume that the standard factory foot is installed on the lens. It has come to our attention that Sigma sometimes installs their larger TS-41 Replacement Collar and Foot on their lenses. We suggest that you measure the length of the foot on your lens to make sure that our suggested plate is correct (the plate should be about 1" longer that the foot on your lens)."

John P.