Arca Swiss Z-1 any good?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by tanglefoot47, Apr 1, 2007.

1. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    While looking for a ballhead I stumbled on the Arca Swiss Z 1 sure sounds like a nice ballhead and has a huge load capacity of 130 pounds. I didn't even know they were making such a creature. Anyone have one? do you like it?

I am also wondering why we don't hear much about the B-1 any longer? My guess is Markins and RRS cut into their business

Mike

2. It sounds like a nice head , but I don't think to many people are buying it. You don't find much talk about it on any of the forums. Are you looking for a replacement for your Markins M20?

3. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa

Actually when you think about it we don't see much talk at all about any of the Arca Swiss ballheads anymore. But I do know they are an excellent head at least the B1. But I think Markins lower price cut into the AS sales.

Yes I am looking for a replacement ballhead I have been looking at smaller heads as I don't need the large M20. I am also looking at the Markins Q3, RRS 40 to name a couple. I have found someone who owns the AS Z1 and he says it's great. Smooth and locks on very well. I would like to hear from others though

4. I didn't realize they came out with a less expensive head.

I've been using the B1 for a few years now and love it.

5. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Yes they did very hard to find well not to hard B&H and Adorama has them but they are closed for about 10 days. Size and weight has been reduce plus it is now rated at 122 pounds off axis.

I would like to try one if I could find but I may just get the Markins 10

6. Does arca-Swiss have a website? I sure can't find it in doing a search.

7. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I haven't found it either but what I have learned about it was online sites and in the FM forum.

I also ordered one today will have it here in three days. It's hard to find and I ended up buying it at Allens camera. Greta place to buy from. B&H and Adorama have them but we all know they are closed now

8. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    It's pretty funny I just came across the Z1 today too while doing some research on ball heads. I wanted to know as well if anyone had any opinions.

The only site I could find with remotely a review on the Z1 was www.the-digital-picture.com. But I can't really trust their review since they sell the thing on their site - they plug you for a sale at the end of the review.

Apparently they don't have a website; but I did find that they are located in Chicago.

Using Google Maps, their address is:

Arca Swiss
    2247 N Geneva Ter
    Chicago, IL 60614
    (773) 248-2513

Also does anyone have any opinions of the Kirk BH-3?

9. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa

They also rate the Kirk ballhead and gives it high marks. I have a post in another forum and a person who owns the Z1 also praises it very highly. This comes from a person who had owned the B1.

10. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    I still haven't found a site for Arca Swiss; but in case anyone wanted a little history on the company you can visit here.

11. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Here it is I got the head today very happy. Well built, smooth and locks like no tomorrow. I put my gear on it again and I am more than pleased if someone is looking for a great head this is it. Even with my Markins there was always just a little movement when I locked but not this head it.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  12. I'm surprised that there is not more people buying it. You just don't hear much about it like the Kirk, Markins and RRS. Arca Swiss been around for along time , but I wonder why no web site ?

13. I can't find the Arca Swiss site either. I can't imagine why they don't advertise their products - or at least have an easily accessible website. I've bought and sold a lot of photographic gear in the last 10 years, and I'll be the first to tell anyone that I'll NEVER sell my B1 ballhead. It's just that good.

14. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Arca Swiss took a heck of a beating over the supposed "lock up" issues with their ball heads. There was a certain chain of events to where the head couldn't be loosened, but if you tightened the knob a bit, everything would free up. Instead, everyone tried to loosen the knob, and couldn't get it to budge. Arca did a re-design and fixed it quite awhile back, but the "hit" still follows them. I've owned three B-1s and still use one today, although it is a back up to my BH-55LR. The Arca's are terrific ballheads, and are probably the most responsible for the current designs. If I needed a new ballhead, I would hesitate in buying the new Z-1. From all appearances, its going to be a good 'un..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  15. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I have to agree it's a good 'un who knows maybe with the lock up issues is why theu came out with the Z. But is is my understanding they did have a fix for the B1. I will try and call them to find out if they do have a web site.

16. From my limited understanding from my readings on Nikonians, the lock up problem was solved and completely went away with the B1 with the silver thumb screw. I have no idea what this means, but apparently I have one of the good ones. I've tried to make it lock up...it won't. I don't know anything about the new model, but I'm considering a second head...and this one's at the top of my list.