Arches in Cabos San Lucas (reworked image on page 2)

We are back from some R&R time in Cabos San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico.

We took a sunset cruise and went by the famous Arches. An old movie and commercial prop, the Buccaneer Queen, was also in the area, making for an eerie moment.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Your thoughts? Is this image "cooked" too much? FWIW, this was taken with a D3 and the 24-120VR

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillipe, it looks like there might be a slight excess of blue in the midtone-->shadow tones, but otherwise this is a very nice image. As Tom suggested, the presence of the ship makes this view of the Arches unique.

I love the image Phillipe. Not overcooked to me, just attention grabbing.

I don't mind dramatic - I just bought the Nik Complete Collection today and have played with the "Tonal Contrast" filter in Color Efex Pro - I think I'll really like playing with images in this manner.

Ha - just noticed that the first three comments in this thread are from Ohioans. Guess we're all wishing we were somewhere else at this time of year and "Cabo San Lucas" in a title from Phillipe caught our eye!:redface:

a little overcooked. ....:rolleyes:.....dans le microonde ou dans le four de grand mere:biggrin:

i dont think its ovecooked i like it as it is....( i have windsurf around those rocks and trough the arch when i was working in baja in 86/87/88)

im not in ohio but it has been snowing non stop for 8 days here and still coming down:eek:( its not a powder day here it is a powder winter:tongue:)

Phillipe,

The only thing I can find to be slightly critical of is the orange dock bumpers on the ship! Personally, I think if you'd clone those out, it would be a spectactular image. (talk about nit-pickey!!!!!) :biggrin:

Although the histogram looks great, in my monitor it appears slightly underexposed.
I just used levels to increase brightness in the middle tonalities to my taste and then carefully burned-in around the image. It looked to my eyes totally different and more appealing but that is my taste.
Because of the compression the image has lost sharpness but this is not unusual with JPEG images.
It is a great shot.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks all for the nice comments and suggestions.

I took the image one step further, by darkening out the red dock bumpers (thanks Chris), lightening the midtones a tad, darkening the sky which I have been told is taking your eye away from the bottom of the image, and applying a more moody vignette (thanks William). This is the result:

Do you like it better? I think I do. Thanks!

That is a sweet image! I was there at sunrise and also during the day, but it didn't look like this ;-).

Did you notice the little "private" beach near the center of the shot? There's a break in the rocks that leads to a much larger beach on the other side. If you look at it from the right angle you can see straight through, water to water. Gorgeous place.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom