Arches National Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, May 23, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Just returned from a very fun four day trip to Moab, Utah. I took over 500 pictures. The weather was sunny and hot. Here are a few from the first day. All taken with D70 and kit lens.

All were taken in RAW. As I am fairly new to this, I love comments on my technique or post processing. You are all helping me learn a great deal.

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Terri those are wonderful shots. Looks like you had a great trip.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    These are really nice. I especially like the third one, very striking composition. It has a strong center of interest, and the shadowed forground gives the image a sense of depth and a more "layered" look.

4. I love the deserts of the American West, these pictures make me want to go back yet again. :D
    I love the pictures, my only comment is that some are perhaps a little bit oversharpened, it might be worth playing with the amount of sharpening and see the effect of varying it, did you use unsharp mask?

5. Then again I realise I had my outdoor spec on and was peering over the rims with my nose up against the screen - things look much better through my reading specs :lol: (I am very very short sighted!!)

6. Did you use polarizer ?

Those are great. Did you use Matrix or Spot metering. You handled the sky/land exposure wonderfully.

7. Nice series Terri, really like the composition in how you put these together, you put some thought into it and it shows. Well done!

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    We did have a great trip. Maybe next spring when you live in Boise you can visit some of sites of the southwest. It is am amazing area.

9. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I think the second is great,good comp.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Jeff

Thank you--I think it is one of my favorites as well. It took a little work, because the foreground was black on the unprocessed Raw file. I think I will print and frame this one.

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Those darn glasses. Getting older is a bummer sometimes. Maybe its time for some progressive bifocals. Switching between two pairs would be really hard.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    polarizer

The first day of our trip I didn't use a polarizer. These were all taken without. My hoya polarizer seems to be giving me some problems. I never had any problems on my 8080 with a hoya circular polarizer, but on the D70 I get a brownish cast to some of my pictures when I use it.

I used matrix metering on all and shot in Raw. I had to do a lot of shadow reduction both in ACR and in photoshop using the shadow/highlight tool.

Thanks for commenting.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Keith. I used to be in such a hurry that I would forget to concentrate on the composition. I am trying to work on consciously taking time for each shot. I have so much to learn, but I can see some improvement with practice. I guess we just have to keep trying.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Terri,

This set of images are magical. Very very nicely done !

Regards

RFC

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    What a nice compliment. Thank you very much.

16. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    They are absolutely gorgeous. You made the kit lens shine. Thanks for sharing. :D :D

17. Great shots! Love the vibrant colors!

18. Hi Terri,

I have to add my compliments to all the others: the colors and composition are wonderful. My favorite is #3, followed by #1, but they are all great!

19. Tried them a few years back, could not make them work, my wife has them, you should see her trying to get onto the top of escalators though :lol:

20. Terry, you have good eye for composition. That kit lens behaves really well.