1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Arches Park and Dead Horse Canyon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mike Z, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I spent this past weekend in the parks in Southeastern Utah. The weather was great and so was the sky. Here are several of my shots. I'm still processing but more can be seen on my website.

76329356.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 87518

View attachment 87519

View attachment 87520

The more I visit this part of the country, the more envious I am of the people who make it their home.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  2. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    That shot of the Delicate Arch is a keeper!

Looks like you shot it around 5 or 6 in the PM.

Nice work.

Murrey

3. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Murray,
    Thanks for your comment on the Delicate Arch shot. Based on the effort needed to get to the shot, it would be a keeper even if I forgot to take the lens cap off.:biggrin:

I took the shot about 1/2 hour before sundown. The sundown itself was a non-event due to clouds.

Mike

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    THose are super Mike. The detail in the rocks in the first one is great.

I'm Like you I want to get out west so bad I dont know what to do.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks Biggs. The side lighting really helps and the 70-200 VR is a great lens.
    Mike

6. Nice series Mike. It's a great part of the world.

7. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks David. You're probably familiar with it, but it's very seldom that I experience the silence that exists at dawn in that part of the country. It's pretty great.
    Mike

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful shots. I drove through that area many years ago (before digital) and I was amazed with the light and colors. You caught it in those shots. I feel tempted to look through my old slides again.

9. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Torben,
    Thanks for the nice comment. The Moab area is quite different from any other that I've visited because of the rock formations. Add to that all of the sandstone in the area, which turns brilliant orange during the golder hours and it really becomes a special place.

Mike

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow just absolutely beautiful

Have never been there..Prob never will :<(((

Thanks for sharing the beauty

11. MIke, these are calendar shots, to say the least. Thanks for sharing them.

12. WOW! The light in these is gorgeous, and you've done a wonderful job capturing it. Really makes me want to head west! :smile:

13. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gale and Chris,
    Thanks for the nice comments. Its much easier to take landscape shots when there is strong subject matter. It doesn't get much stronger than this.

Mike

14. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Stunning, really. I'd love to see larger prints. Excellent job.

15. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gretchen and Joshua,

Thanks for the nice comments. Joshua, the 12x18 prints are spectacular:smile:

Mike

16. Masa

Masa

Feb 27, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Nice pics! I like the lightings on the 1st and the last one.

17. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Dang!, you people are killing me with these 70 -200 shots. These are incredible shots

18. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Masa, Thanks for the nice comment. You chose the pics closest to sunset and sunrise.

Doug, it's a great lens. I thought I was mostly going to be using the wide angle but wound up using the telephoto more. The 70-200 can't be beat.

Mike

19. These are not wide angle????? 70-200mm? Telephoto??

Man these are spectacular in every way.

20. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Irish,
    Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to Doug.

For the shots I posted, the first is with the 70-200. The second was at 24mm, the 3d at 20 and the last at 10. When I went back to my shots I found my biggest workhorse was my 17-55, next the 70-200 and finally the 10-20.

The long lenses are helpful because many of the rock formations are so large that if you shoot with wide angle, you get too much distortion and there's plenty of open space to get further away. The long lenses also help me with compression which is helpful in these vast spaces. Here is an example which I took along the road returning from Dead Horse:

76338544.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's at 240mm (extender used).

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.