Arches Trip Itinery Questions????

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by aldirtfarmer, Aug 21, 2008.

1. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    I'll be making my first trip to Arches on Sept 12 Due to a work schedule which makes the trip possible, I will not get more than 1 day in Arches and 1 day in Canyonlands. So I have few questions for the seasoned Arches travelers/locals.

We will be arriving from Mesa Verde on Thursday and will likely be in the Moab area by late afternoon. Is it better to hike to Delicate Arch late that day and catch a sunset or wait until Friday morning and catch it early in the day? (My wife will be with me so it will be after sunrise by the time I get there).

Is there anything on the drive between Mesa Verde and Moab that is "must see"? I had considered the southern end of Canyonlands but it does not seem to catch my attention. Do you consider that a mistake? Stopping much along the route will put Delicate Arch the next morning as we are doing Mesa Verde before the driven and will not likely leave there until after noon.

Also planning to do the Devils Garden trail. Is the afternoon to sunset time ok for this or should it be done in the morning as well?

Saturday morning planning to hit Mesa Arch early, a few short walks, and Hopefully Dead Horse State Park before driving to SLC.Any advice on that plan is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. I would hit the Natural Arch on the first afternoon. I believe the Devil's Garden Trail is closed past Landscape Arch due to the Wall Arch collapse - you may want to phone the vistor center and see if that's still the case.

Sean

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Joe :

You have a very tight timetable there, but I'll offer one more thought to you - Dead Horse Point State Park (Utah DNR Link). DHPSP lies in-between Arches NP and Canyonlands. The views and location are astoundingly breathtaking, and the photographic opportunities are legion. There's a road very close to Arches NP entrance signed for "Potash", and if you follow that past the industrial facility, well after the paved sections end, it's a unique experience.

The downside to this is that you really truly need a 4WD to navigate the roadway that will lead you to Canyonlands from Potash, and this isn't the main area of the state park. Nonetheless, this is a less traveled route that would offer you some amazing sights.

John P.

4. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

5. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks Sean,

I'm thinking sunset is my best option. And yes I understand the devils garden trail is closed pask Lanscape arch but definately planning to go that far.

6. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks I have hit the NPS web sites, but I think I missed the "best time" pdf so I'll check it out.

I have read about the natural bridges and wanted a first hand opnion if it was worth the stop.

7. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    John, Thats exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Unfortunantely I won't have a 4WD. In fact I had a hard time finding a reasonable price on a one-way rental from ABQ to SLC for a sedan.

Can I get to anypart of the scenery with 2WD clunker?

8. Joe, if you do the Delicate Arch hike for sunset, remember to bring a couple of flashlights for the hike back to the car (not to mention enough water and food)! I believe it took us a good 45 minutes at a leisurely pace to get back to the car. I am not sure, but I don't think Delicate Arch is ideal for sunrise since it will not be lit up (blocked by mountains) like it is during a sunset.

Canyonlands is fabulous as well, but going offroad is not recommended unless you got the right vehicle. We took one of the 4WD tours and it was an adventure. Didn't get too many shots but just bouncing around going up and down the canyons was an unforgettable adventure.

Have fun!
    Eugene

9. I've only been to Arches in the spring, but have been there several times. I would do Delicate Arch at sunset.

A great sunrise spot is Courthouse Towers in Arches NP, although there are probably not the flowers there now.

original.

In my opinion Dead Horse State Park is a must see area. I like it better than Canyonlands.

I've got a lot of photos of Arches in my pbase gallery. Looking at them might give you an idea of the time of day we were there and the quality of light in the photos.

Have fun. It's a magical place. Hopefully it won't be too hot in Sept.

http://www.pbase.com/terrif/moab_area

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Joe :

You can certainly proceed a certain distance - with due care, of course - into Dead Horse Point State Park. It's really in the final approach to Canyonlands from DHPSP that 4WD becomes a necessity.

And, BTW, if you recall the opening of Mission Impossible II where Tom Cruise is climbing a spire, that's Dead Horse Point State Park. In some ways, it's almost more inspiring and incredible than either Arches or Canyonlands.

If you look at the national parks website for Canyonlands (Park Site) you can see some maps. Do check the park site before you set out, as conditions are always changing. For example, I note that the Schafer Trail is closed until 28 August.

And we'll be looking for your photos when you return...

John P.

11. Sunrise at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a must.

12. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    The Delicate Arch MUST be shot during the "golden hour" of the evening.

One of the most prominent features of Devils Garden is Landscape Arch and that needs to be shot in the early to mid morning hours.

Mesa Arch is a MUST for sunrise. Be sure to get there as early before sunrise as time will allow. Others take the same opportunity.

Plan on shooting the Island In The Sky area after you do Mesa Arch.

IMO you would have pretty good results with Dead Horse Canyon later in the afternoon.

Volumes 1 & 2 titled Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres are excellent references for times and directions for this whole area, including Mesa Verde.

Good luck to you!

13. I'd also like to emphasize the importance of getting there BEFORE sunrise. By there I mean walking up to it. The trail isn't long, it's easy, but bring a flash light.

14. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks for the flashlight reminder. I may have to start packing tonight so I don't forget anything.

Due to our time limits we will not be taking the off-road tour. My wife would like to do one of the night time float trips but that will fall victim to the schedule as well.

15. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    I have seen photos of the arch with the sun rising in the corner and got that wow feeling. You guys are helping my wife warm up to this before sunrise stuff (we will still be on Eastern Body time!) so right now we plan on making that happen.

Does the sun rise in the right location this time of year to get that shot? Or do you have suficient area to move about to "make" it rise in the arch?

16. I want to say yes, it was early Oct when I was there. Try a Google search on Mesa Arch and sunrise.

This is what I snagged and it was only a few mins after sunrise:

[​IMG]

17. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC

Terri,

First that is a great shot. I recall seeing that one posted earlier. I wish the flowers were blooming but I don't think so either.

You and the others have helped convince me to do Delicate arch at sunset (hopefully on Thursday) and that will open up the devils garden for the next morning. Closing out with Mesa arch on Saturday sunrise. And I'll shove as much as I can in between.

I'll check out your pbase photos. I wish you would give me hints on HDR. I have photomatrix but I do not like the results I 'm getting. All on the operator I'm sure.

Thanks again.

18. Joe,
    Have a great time. You will love it!!! I wish I was going to be there too. Of course, with a grandson due to be born on Sept 12, I think I'll just stick around here--wouldn't want to miss that...

BTW, my personal opinion is that the Wall Street area is neater than Devil's Garden. We camped in Devil's Garden when we were there in May. That was fun!! Also, don't forget the Windows area of Arches.

19. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    More great advise. Both were on my list, but perhaps a stop at wall street in the morning before devils garden would be a better plan.

Thanks again.

20. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Phil, Thanks Thats the look I seen many times. Since it is my first trip there I guess I'll go the postcard route!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.