1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Architectural Abstract

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM.

1. This is the top of a stairwell at the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art located at Ithaca, New York's Cornell University. The community is very fortunate to have such a wonderful museum, especially because the architectural characteristics of the building are as enjoyable as the art displayed in it.

Mike 2018-10-12--1586-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Love the mix of strong vertical lines in both the foreground and the background, as a contrast to the round lines of the staircase. Very nice use of the principles and elements of design. Also noted the dark/light negative space behind the subject.

3. Everything you described, Wade, is what attracted me about the scene.

4. Yes, it is a nice scene and well caught, with a good tonal range but a bit soft in places.

5. I agree...nice scene and well composed. I like the straight line split of tones in the background, too.

I think it is a bit soft in places, too. If it were mine, I would have captured a fairly quick focus stack...one exposure of the front of the scene and one of the back--and blended them in Photoshop.

Glenn

6. Thank you also to Glenn and Bill!

Tripods are not allowed in the museum.

7. Removing a tripod from the equation always limits the creative choices...I hate when that happens!

Glenn

8. Very well seen, captured and processed, Mike!
    Great work!

9. I must have skipped this thread Mike. Very creative , geometrical composition. I also like the PP work.

10. Just adding my kudos, Mike. Can't add to what has already been said. A very nice composition.

11. What a wonderful mix of shapes, textures, and shades.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.