Architectural shots for "Abitare" magazine

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by vieri, May 20, 2007.

1. The italian design and architecture magazine "Abitare" had a special issue dedicated to Istanbul - I did contribute all the images for the "Istanbul Life" section, plus those illustrating Mustafa Kemal Atat├╝rk's summer house in Florya, as well as those illustrating a private wooden house on Princess Island Burgaz. Here a few samples:

- Cezayir restaurant
    [​IMG]

- Haci Baba restaurant
    [​IMG]

- Reina restaurant
    [​IMG]

- Ulus 29 restaurant
    [​IMG]

- Fes cafe in the Grand Bazaar
    [​IMG]

- Litera cafe'
    [​IMG]

- Arkeo Pera bookstore
    [​IMG]

- Robinson Crusoe bookstore
    [​IMG]

- Garanti Platform
    [​IMG]

- Galerist Art Gallery
    [​IMG]

- Autobahn Shop
    [​IMG]

- Abdulla Shop in the Grand Bazaar
    [​IMG]

All with the D2x, D2xs and Nikkor 12-24 or Nikkor 50mm f1.4. More, if you are interested, here.

As always, C&C are most welcome.

2. They all are very nice Vieri, thanks for sharing.

3. Indeed these are VERY nice! I could get lost in that bookstore

4. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice, Vieri!

5. Lighting is excellent. Distortion is low. Very well done.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic
    Way to go:>)))

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I loved these so much that I went to your website to look at more. I love all the different types of architecture. Istanbul looks like such a wonderful place to visit. I'll probably never get there, so I really enjoyed seeing it through your eyes.

8. Really top-drawer, Vieri.

From your post I conclude that you added no lighting of your own, but used just the available lighting. Is that correct?

Regards.

9. Thank you very much everyone! :biggrin: I am glad you enjoyed - as far as the lighting, is indeed all available and natural, no flashes of sorts; however, I did double exposures in some of the images and blended them in PS for greater DR. Thanks again! :biggrin:

10. Agreed, lovely shots. As someone who has a Sigma 10-20mm and is constantly fighting to try and show no distortion, I'd be keen to know any tips you may have.

Thx for sharing.

11. Great images Vieri. I had lunch once at Ulus 29, the view is spectacular :smile:

12. Hey Anthony, first of all, thank you very much - I appreciate it. As far as the distortion, I have to say that I had the 10-20 and sold it just for the distortion - not easily fixable in PS - and for the speed, I shot low light stuff for which I need all the light I can get. The Nikkor gives me less distortion, a little more speed, and better color which by the way are more consistent with the rest of my lenses (all Nikkors). However, if you are looking for the best architecture WA zoom the Sigma 12-24 would be the best of the bunch - virtually no distortion. Back to your question, I use the Lens Correction tool in PSCS2: it's pretty powerful and gives you control over almost everything. Hope this helps, best of luck for your anti-distortion quest!

Thank you Panos, and you are totally right: the view from Ulus 29 is spectacular indeed! :biggrin:

13. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Vieri,
    I will be coming to Istanbul in at the beginning of November. I love your photos. I looked on bBase also.
    Did you handhold your shots in the Grand Bazaar?
    What is the weather like this time of year?

14. Hey Bob, yes I did handheld my pbase shots in the Grand Bazaar, but I didn't handhold the Abitare shots I took there. In November, the weather might be very mild close to warm, but it of course depends on what you are used to :wink: say, around 15 to may be 20 C in the day and 10 C at night. It may also be colder though occasionally... Hope this helps, best

15. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Vieri,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I try to pack as little as possible, but didn't want to buy a fur coat in Istanbul!! I understand you are from Italy. My wife has relatives in Rome and Naples. We are going to tour the Amalfi coast while we are on this trip. We will be on the ship Galaxy. In Istanbul for 1 1/2 days and
    Ephesus for one day.

16. Hey Bob, I think the time for your Istanbul stop is coming - let me know if you need anything, info, help with anything. Hope you will enjoy the city! :biggrin:

17. Fantastic shots Vieri, congrats on being published in the magazine.

18. Thank you very much Mitch on both accounts - your comments are always much appreciated, thanks again! :biggrin: