Archived: Deal or No Deal? on 14-24 offer, help!? UPDATE: Completed Sale!!

Hi,

I am sorry to start a new thread like this but just wanted to run this offer to the forum to get some feedback, I have until tomorrow 8/13 to decide.

Offer: 3 month old USA model 14-24 in mint condition for $1400 cash

Now I have the money and J&R is offering the lens for $1589.89 with Bing cashback and they have it in stock. is the extra $200 bucks worth it to buy it new? Or should I jump on the $1400 offer?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If it really is USA and really is mint (like new), I'd strongly consider it - IF you can see it in person to verify. $1400 is not an outstanding deal all things considered, but since the MSRP for this lens has jumped significantly just in the last year, well, I'm a firm believer in "a penny saved"...

Take the money saved and buy the parts to make a Cokin XPro filter holder and pick up a few ND and graduated filters!

If it really is USA and really is mint (like new), I'd strongly consider it - IF you can see it in person to verify. $1400 is not an outstanding deal all things considered, but since the MSRP for this lens has jumped significantly just in the last year, well, I'm a firm believer in "a penny saved"...

Take the money saved and buy the parts to make a Cokin XPro filter holder and pick up a few ND and graduated filters!
I am going to call him in the morning to set up a time during lunch to inspect the lens where then I can check it out...Thanks for the feedback!

pass. Nikon warranty isn't transferable. for $190 you can have the same lens with 5 year warranty, which in my eyes... is worth it.

pass. Nikon warranty isn't transferable. for $190 you can have the same lens with 5 year warranty, which in my eyes... is worth it.
Thats def the flipside. I just emailed him and he said yes it is a USA model and it was purchased from Wolf Camera in Raleigh, NC in April 2009. No dust or scratches at all....

I am a believer of playing it rather safe than sorry and in the big picture $200 isnt' a lot with a purchase like this...but then again it is $200.00

If it was a prime lens, then I'd go for it. Less stuff in primes to go wrong. I might even go for it if it were a screw-driven zoom. Most of those are pretty simple. But an AF-S lens has a LOT of stuff that can go wrong. I'd just buy a new one.

Dom,

I like Nikon equipment. I've owned many Nikon lenses. The only one I've not had to send back for warranty work is my 50mm 1.8. Personally, I'd go the extra $200 and have the warranty in my own name!!!!!!!

If it was a prime lens, then I'd go for it. Less stuff in primes to go wrong. I might even go for it if it were a screw-driven zoom. Most of those are pretty simple. But an AF-S lens has a LOT of stuff that can go wrong. I'd just buy a new one.
hmm, good point. Thanks for the replies

Dom,

I like Nikon equipment. I've owned many Nikon lenses. The only one I've not had to send back for warranty work is my 50mm 1.8. Personally, I'd go the extra $200 and have the warranty in my own name!!!!!!!
This is what I am leaning towards at the moment...unless he offers me a price i can't "refuse" I guess I have to tell him I will pass.

Since you can meet him in person, buy it. He can handle any warranty problem you will have, in the very unlikely event you have a problem. It's a heck of a lens, I will never sell mine.
Problem is this is a friend of a friend that I am not confident that he will be accessible if such a problem arises...

By the way, I bought mine used, but I saved more than what you are looking at. I saved about $350.00 over buying new. You have better options than I had, and for the amount that you are talking about, I may very well have bought a new one.

+1. I can't think of any reason that I wouldn't head down this route. 5X the warranty for $189 = not a tough decision.

Ok so its looking like I am going to buy this puppy new. I sent one last email about being not comfortable with the non-transferrable warranty and if he drops the price to $1200 (i doubt it) for that fact then I will take the used one.

But chances are that wont happen....thanks for help all!

sure thing ;)

you don't want to be stuck "fixing" the lens yourself should something happen to it ;)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

relax people :D it was broken when i got it ;) Quantaray 28-200mm

L

LSSE

tough call. I'd go for the cashback + warranty. over 5 years a few hundred bucks isn't worth sweating.

tough call. I'd go for the cashback + warranty. over 5 years a few hundred bucks isn't worth sweating.
Well here comes the curveball...

He emailed me back asking If I have any other lenses I would be willing to trade to offset the $200 I was asking to additionally take off.

I said I had a 50 f/1.8 and a metz flash (that I don't use since I got my SB900) he said he would take both those and $1200 cash for the lens and would give me his full contact info (facebook, myspace, home address and etc.. incase I ever needed to do a warranty replacement....

I don't know why but I am not sure why this seems too good to be true? I think I owe it to myself to at least check out the lens in person tomorrow and see what's up.

What should I be looking out for (other than the obvious) when testing the lens?

Well here comes the curveball...

He emailed me back asking If I have any other lenses I would be willing to trade to offset the $200 I was asking to additionally take off.

I said I had a 50 f/1.8 and a metz flash (that I don't use since I got my SB900) he said he would take both those and $1200 cash for the lens and would give me his full contact info (facebook, myspace, home address and etc.. incase I ever needed to do a warranty replacement....

I don't know why but I am not sure why this seems too good to be true? I think I owe it to myself to at least check out the lens in person tomorrow and see what's up.

What should I be looking out for (other than the obvious) when testing the lens?
Hmmm. I agree with you, almost sounds too good to be true.

Hmmm. I agree with you, almost sounds too good to be true.
He could easily get $1500 for the lens elsewhere....

Well we will see what tomorrow brings...I plan on inspecting the lens and taking some test shots with my D700 if I end up meeting with him...

I never bought a lens like this before and it feels rather creepy..lol

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom