1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Archived: Deal or No Deal? on 14-24 offer, help!? UPDATE: Completed Sale!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Domdog31, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Hi,

I am sorry to start a new thread like this but just wanted to run this offer to the forum to get some feedback, I have until tomorrow 8/13 to decide.

Offer: 3 month old USA model 14-24 in mint condition for $1400 cash

Now I have the money and J&R is offering the lens for $1589.89 with Bing cashback and they have it in stock. is the extra $200 bucks worth it to buy it new? Or should I jump on the $1400 offer?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  2. If it really is USA and really is mint (like new), I'd strongly consider it - IF you can see it in person to verify. $1400 is not an outstanding deal all things considered, but since the MSRP for this lens has jumped significantly just in the last year, well, I'm a firm believer in "a penny saved"...

Take the money saved and buy the parts to make a Cokin XPro filter holder and pick up a few ND and graduated filters!

3. I am going to call him in the morning to set up a time during lunch to inspect the lens where then I can check it out...Thanks for the feedback!

4. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    pass. Nikon warranty isn't transferable. for $190 you can have the same lens with 5 year warranty, which in my eyes... is worth it.

5. Thats def the flipside. I just emailed him and he said yes it is a USA model and it was purchased from Wolf Camera in Raleigh, NC in April 2009. No dust or scratches at all....

I am a believer of playing it rather safe than sorry and in the big picture $200 isnt' a lot with a purchase like this...but then again it is $200.00

6. If it was a prime lens, then I'd go for it. Less stuff in primes to go wrong. I might even go for it if it were a screw-driven zoom. Most of those are pretty simple. But an AF-S lens has a LOT of stuff that can go wrong. I'd just buy a new one.

7. Dom,

I like Nikon equipment. I've owned many Nikon lenses. The only one I've not had to send back for warranty work is my 50mm 1.8. Personally, I'd go the extra $200 and have the warranty in my own name!!!!!!!

8. Since you can meet him in person, buy it. He can handle any warranty problem you will have, in the very unlikely event you have a problem. It's a heck of a lens, I will never sell mine.

9. hmm, good point. Thanks for the replies

10. This is what I am leaning towards at the moment...unless he offers me a price i can't "refuse" I guess I have to tell him I will pass.

Problem is this is a friend of a friend that I am not confident that he will be accessible if such a problem arises...

11. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Whatever you decide, you are getting a great lens!

12. =) Yes! I actually almost forgot about the end result - jeez lens lust isn't for the faint hearted....

13. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    By the way, I bought mine used, but I saved more than what you are looking at. I saved about $350.00 over buying new. You have better options than I had, and for the amount that you are talking about, I may very well have bought a new one.

14. Wrxified

Wrxified

Mar 10, 2008
    Michigan
    +1. I can't think of any reason that I wouldn't head down this route. 5X the warranty for $189 = not a tough decision.

15. Ok so its looking like I am going to buy this puppy new. I sent one last email about being not comfortable with the non-transferrable warranty and if he drops the price to $1200 (i doubt it) for that fact then I will take the used one.

But chances are that wont happen....thanks for help all!

16. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    sure thing ;) 

you don't want to be stuck "fixing" the lens yourself should something happen to it ;) 

[​IMG]

relax people :D  it was broken when i got it ;)  Quantaray 28-200mm

17. LSSE

LSSE Guest

tough call. I'd go for the cashback + warranty. over 5 years a few hundred bucks isn't worth sweating.

18. Well here comes the curveball...

He emailed me back asking If I have any other lenses I would be willing to trade to offset the $200 I was asking to additionally take off.

I said I had a 50 f/1.8 and a metz flash (that I don't use since I got my SB900) he said he would take both those and $1200 cash for the lens and would give me his full contact info (facebook, myspace, home address and etc.. incase I ever needed to do a warranty replacement....

I don't know why but I am not sure why this seems too good to be true? I think I owe it to myself to at least check out the lens in person tomorrow and see what's up.

What should I be looking out for (other than the obvious) when testing the lens?

19. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Hmmm. I agree with you, almost sounds too good to be true.

20. He could easily get $1500 for the lens elsewhere....

Well we will see what tomorrow brings...I plan on inspecting the lens and taking some test shots with my D700 if I end up meeting with him...

I never bought a lens like this before and it feels rather creepy..lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.