Arctic Poppies, Denali National Park

Arctic Poppies, Highway Pass, Denali National Park (20mm, D3X).

poppies.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes, our lakes finally broke up June 8th. We went from cold to hot, with temperatures into the 80's, and 90's in the park. The rivers were really raging, with snow melt and the heat melting the glaciers.

Beautiful, Steve - let that fertile season begin!

Thanks Eric. The wildflowers in the Alaska range this summer are the best I've ever seen. A late spring, with lots of water from snow melt and then hot temperatures made entire mountain sides densely covered with flowers. Unfortunately, it also made for perfect conditions for mosquitoes, and they are the worst anyone in the area has ever seen.

Day or night, hot or cold, you Alaskans just don't do in-between...! :biggrin:

Our weather changed yesterday, with low clouds and fog for the first time in weeks. Unfortunately, a private twin prop aircraft tried flying through it yesterday, and crashed a few miles from our house killing all three souls aboard. Too many people try their luck flying through the fog, hoping to break out into clear weather in a short time. At best it's really scary, but all too often they fly into the trees or a mountainside.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Sorry to hear about the plane crash; how sad...

Your photo is marvelous, Steve and did you say 80's and 90's? I didn't think it got that hot up there!

Sorry to hear about the plane crash; how sad...

Your photo is marvelous, Steve and did you say 80's and 90's? I didn't think it got that hot up there!

At our house, it's generally a bit cooler, but we just spent two weeks in the park, and we had temperatures up to the low 90's. Fort Yukon in the interior of the state hit 100F a few days ago, and Fairbanks hit 97F. Hot weather usually spawns thunderstorms, and with it lightning. There are now 112 wildfires burning in the state, with 760,000 acres burned this season so far.

Nice image Steve. I need to get to Alaska sometime. The problem is I will want to stay for more that a week or two.

Thanks Eric. The wildflowers in the Alaska range this summer are the best I've ever seen. A late spring, with lots of water from snow melt and then hot temperatures made entire mountain sides densely covered with flowers. Unfortunately, it also made for perfect conditions for mosquitoes, and they are the worst anyone in the area has ever seen.

Steve -

I can sympathize, yet those mosquitoes are out there during their short season doing their best to carry on also. :eek:

Here's hoping that the bugs are not among those that have been developing resistance to DEET. :smile:

Nice image Steve. I need to get to Alaska sometime. The problem is I will want to stay for more that a week or two.

Two weeks is good enough as long as you don't try to see too many parts of the state in one trip.

Steve -

I can sympathize, yet those mosquitoes are out there during their short season doing their best to carry on also. :eek:

Here's hoping that the bugs are not among those that have been developing resistance to DEET. :smile:
Personally, I don't like using DEET; it burns my skin almost like a sunburn. Anyway, at least in the mainland of the state, all the insect repellent in stores is sold out, as it is one of the worst years for mosquitoes that any of us have seen.

Great photo. I love Alaska. Hope to get a chance to visit again in 2014.
We hope you do visit again! Tourism brings lots of money to the state!

as others said, great image. Has to be a great feeling having that as your "backyard"

Yes, it is always nice living near a national park!

Latest threads

Top Bottom