Arctic Terns on Inner Farne

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jun 20, 2007.

1. These are the last shots from my visit to the Farne Islands. Do I hear cheering? :biggrin:

FarneIs004a513.

Not a very good photo, but look at the terns - one attacking the camera and the cameraman, another sitting on the red post and waiting for its turn (sorry :smile:)
    The area around St Cuthbert's chapel is the centre of the arctic tern colony. These amazing birds attack anyone on this part of the island. A hat or an umbrella is essential.

TernTriptych.

Here are 70mm shots of the tern on the red post and another incubating in the grass nearby. When you get this close you can see that these arctic terns are mainly pale grey in colour.

FarneIs004b019.

FarneIs004b028.

Of course they are obvious subjects for flight shots, but they usually come too close! This is my best effort.

FarneIs004c045.

It is remarkable that the terns which nest close to the boardwalk rear more chicks then the ones in the rest of the colony - in spite of leaving their nests frequently to attack the visitors. It seems that the large gulls, which take their eggs and chicks, don't dare to get so close to people.
    Finally a more serene pose.

FarneIs004b053.

I hope you've enjoyed all these photos from this unique location.

Alan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Super images
    Love the three sequence..:>)))

Not sure how this post got missed.

3. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Great Alan, wish i could of gone this year, top shots, keep them coming!

4. Thank you for the comments. I don't know if I'll go back this summer - but I hope to go again next year and the year after and . . .

I thought people had been put off this thread by my apalling pun, for which I apologise again :redface:

Alan

5. Alan, a great series. That's interesting about the nests closest to the walkway being more productive.

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I missed this one too. I like your high key flight image a lot! Would look great framed and on the wall.

7. Man that looks like a fun shoot!!!

8. Absolutely :biggrin:
    I'm glad I could share a little of the fun.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  9. Folks down here on the east coast of Florida were doing cartwheels when we had a rush of a few Arctic Terns showing up on our beaches a few weeks ago! Nothing like that though. Looked like you had tons of fun. Thanks for sharing these great pics. Have a new addition to places I'd like to go!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Alan. I love the attack shots. Looks like a fantastic trip. :smile: