Are any of you in a local camera club?

Real Name
Don Roy
Just a curiosity question really. Tonight I'm going to a 'new member orientation' meeting of the local club. I wondered what value Cafe folks may see in being active in a local club.

Friendship, competition nights, knowledge of local events are 3 things that come to mind.
Yep, and add that competition nights when correctly managed, which includes careful selection of judges to those who leave their baggage at the door but do give sound, objective critiques, are a great resource for those who enter with a goal of improving their photography (and not for the purpose of collecting silverware).

I joined a local club at the urging of one of my patients two years ago. I found the meetings tedious and got little out of attending them. All were invited to submit photos for viewing and critique. A few loudmouth experts would pan many photos and extol the virtues of their own work. Many would just sit there or say "nice photo" (which I don't need). The promised field trips never came at times I could attend (I work).

I'd be interested to hear your own experience.

Real Name
Randy
I joined a local club at the urging of one of my patients two years ago. I found the meetings tedious and got little out of attending them. All were invited to submit photos for viewing and critique. A few loudmouth experts would pan many photos and extol the virtues of their own work. Many would just sit there or say "nice photo" (which I don't need). The promised field trips never came at times I could attend (I work).

I'd be interested to hear your own experience.
+1
When photography becomes a contest people can get weird, I don’t do it and the Cafe is my cc

Real Name
Chris
Not so much a club but all of us local photogs in the area have a chat room on Instagram where we chit chat, get together to shoot or help each other figure out challenges. Occasionally we will send business each other’s way if we have a client looking for something better suited for another photographer who specializes in an area. I had a local photog send a wedding client my way and I’ve sent real estate clients out to others. It can be a great thing if ( that’s a BIG if) the group is right and it’s done correctly.

Tried going out with a somewhat local Meetup photography group. Didn't feel like a group I wanted to be around. Just had a bad vibe about the people. They were nice, but it was something I felt and I do go with my instincts having been burned before by ignoring them. We all met up at a park then off to another park 30 miles away. They were trying to get as many people into a few cars as possible (that I understand to save gas and such) but the guy who was trying to get people in groups got a little miffed when I told him I'm driving myself just in case I have to leave in a hurry. Dad had severe medical issues and I would need to leave asafp if I got a call and NOT gonna tell someone that they have to drive me back to my vehicle and ruin their time.

Tried searching for another local club (in town and not 40 miles away) and no dice.

Real Name
Don Roy
Thanks for the replies. Son Steve (also here on the Cafe) and I going in a few mins. We're not expecting much, but figure we'd give it a look.

Real Name
Don Roy
Meeting was decent, was an overview session of the Enchanted Lens CC (link). [FYI: NM state motto is 'Land of Enchantement'.] They are very active, many things going on per month. Outings to photograph things, casual to professional critique sessions on photos, Adobe tech sessions, guest speakers at meetings, etc.. I'll go to a few more things to see how it looks before the $$ part.

Sort of in a couple, Spokane and North Idaho club. They each have a Facebook presence, but given my growing dislike for that disgusting "platform" I doubt I'll participate in their online activities much longer. It's a good place to see mostly local photos, that part I enjoy. I try and attend a meeting at least once a year, but they only hold meetings in the winter and one is 50 miles away and the other is 90 miles. Winter driving in the dark really isn't something I enjoy. Occassionly the clubs have mass gatherings of members for taking photos, haven't attended any of those. I am not the gregarious type and doubt I would ever attend one of these events. I don't get group photography, I prefer to be by myself when taking photos, maybe have one of my dogs along.

Real Name
Bill
The Cafe is my club.
I've personally met a couple of members, great people. We go out and shoot, chat, and laugh. No pressure, no attitudes, just Zen. Kinda like the online Cafe just in 3D.

There is a local club, but everyone I've talked to said those involved with it have turned it into a snobbish clique. If you don't shoot professionally, have high-$ gear and can't produce award-winning magazine cover images on a daily basis, you don't belong.

Meeting was decent, was an overview session of the Enchanted Lens CC (link). [FYI: NM state motto is 'Land of Enchantement'.] They are very active, many things going on per month. Outings to photograph things, casual to professional critique sessions on photos, Adobe tech sessions, guest speakers at meetings, etc.. I'll go to a few more things to see how it looks before the $$ part.

Thanks for the update. It would be interesting to hear your future impressions. I wouldn't mind some Adobe tech sessions, but I get frustrated in a group setting when one person invariably dominates the session with basic questions which prevents the entire group from advancing.

There are 2 clubs in my area. I was a member of one for a couple years then dropped out for a couple reasons. Their competition night was disorganized. I voiced my complaint and a solution. The leadership heard my complaint and liked my solution. They tried it for a couple months and I was cursed at for "making waves" by a couple of the old timers. I left that group, never to return. I am now a member of the other club in my area. There's a great mix of skill levels and ages. The members and leadership are all open to suggestions. We meet 3 times a month. One mtg. is for a "program". It's somewhat an educational event. One mtg. is a mentoring or critique of photos you may be working on and one mtg. is competition night. Some clubs only have printed photos allowed in competition, which can get expensive. Our club has printed and digital photos allowed in competition. We also have a few field trips a year.

Latest threads

Top Bottom