Are digital backgrounds worth using?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by cajun angel, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Okay, I've been reading and exploring the idea of using a chroma green/blue background and doing the digital background thingies. I'm wondering if anyone uses these? Are they hard to use? Are they worth the money? I currently own 1 10x12 backdrop and a frame. I'll be doing church directory photos with the chance that some of the members may want to buy photos. I'm thinking for those that want to buy, I could offer the 2nd photo done on the chroma and then offer them a few choices of the background. From what I've been reading, it doesn't "sound" hard - just a masking technique being used. Having Scott Kelby's book on photo shop, I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to learn? I know a lot of schools use this method now and the ones I've bought, I thought were really nice. The photo shoot starts in August, and even though I may not use this method for this project, it's something I'm considering at a later time. Okay, hope some of ya'll can give some feedback! And thanks in advance for it!

2. I find them more useful for video; I hadn't really thought about needing one for stills, but I think you're right in that it would be easy to use PS to put in a different background after the portraits are done.

3. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I have a green one sitting right behind me...its huge. NOT WORTH IT.

4. Well, price wise maybe not, but what I'm trying to find out is how easy it is to use a chroma screen and then do the backgrounds digitally. Thanks for your input though!

5. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    thats what i'm talking about. We tried software and to wazu, but nothing really worked as well as a real background. We were very disappointed to say the least. We def had some big hopes!

6. Thanks for your input. I've put this idea on the "back burner" for a while. Who knows, maybe they'll get around to improving things for us!

7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I guess I'm curious as to why nothing worked as well as a real background. Theoretically, you should be able to quickly select the green background and then swap it with one from either a photo you've already done or dozens of canned images.

8. That's what I was thinking too. I just don't like the idea of spending $120+ on 1 backdrop and then worrying about where I'm gonna keep it. I do use and like the 1 backdrop that I do have though. I'm just curious - the schools use the digital backdrops now for school pics. The ones we bought were really nice!

9. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    The one time I used a chroma blue, I had the guy at least six feet away yet some of the color 'bled' on his white shirt, maybe user error, but I have not tried it again yet. He is a congressional candidate, I could not reshoot and had to spend major time cleaning up the 'spill'.

10. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    The color bleeding is what I experienced too.