Are DSLR s dying?

Mirrorless is here to stay but Nikon is not producing anything new that will be better than my D5/D850 and all my glass.

That depends on how you define "better." If you consider only the end product, that's probably true. However, if you like the process of using a mirrorless system a lot more than the process of using a DSLR for the type of photography you do, which is my case, Nikon's mirrorless systems are unquestionably better than their DSLR systems.

https://fstoppers.com/business/bcn-...sony-lead-while-olympus-remains-strong-544810

This article gives us a snapshot of the camera industry overall as we move into 2021...... The picture isn't so good for Nikon, nor has it been for a while.

A sentence from the section on MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras):

"Finally, the continued absence of Nikon in the top three shows how competitive the sector remains and that to generate revenue, it desperately needs to increase its market share here."

Last edited:
"Finally, the continued absence of Nikon in the top three shows how competitive the sector remains and that to generate revenue, it desperately needs to increase its market share here."

That statement is about the mirrorless market and, frankly, is unhelpful and misleading. First, Nikon doesn't have to increase its market share to generate revenue. It doesn't even have to increase its market share to increase its revenue; if it maintains its current market share and if the mirrorless market continues to grow, it will generate more revenue in that segment. Second, Olympus is in third place in the mirrorless market ahead of Nikon. Yet Nikon and Olympus aren't direct competitors in the sense that Olympus makes only micro four thirds cameras and Nikon doesn't make them. Comparing the market shares of the two companies is unhelpful unless the argument is being made that Nikon should be in the micro four thirds market.

Last edited:
What would you suggest my next purchase should be?

I have no idea. You'll have to do what I did, which took over a year: spend a fair amount of time reviewing and reflecting on what you like to shoot, what you have most appreciated about the tools you currently have, and what you would like to use moving forward. If you haven't tried mirrorless, rent or borrow a mirrorless camera and a lens or two to see what it's all about. If you have used mirrorless, think about what features and functions you like and dislike, and why. What about DSLRs is more appealing overall to you than mirrorless cameras, or the reverse? Why? Eventually when you get to the point of at least making a decision about sticking with DSLR or moving into the mirrorless world, then there's a whole bunch of other things to think about and to take into consideration.

That's when I got deeper into the nitty-gritty, which involved features and functions of various MILC and lenses and availability of such. At the time I started out with my assessment of my current tools and what I might want in the future, Nikon didn't even have a mirrorless system yet. I waited for the announcement of the Z system and its lenses and waited for reviewers' comments and more importantly, actual user comments from people I know and trust. I looked at the "roadmap" and wasn't seeing what I wanted and expected to see, so that was disconcerting to say the least, as was the realization that a lot of my older Nikon lenses were not going to be all that satisfactory for me on the FTZ adapter and some wouldn't work on it at all. Unlike many people I hadn't been busily buying new Nikon or other gear over the years, jumping in to grab a new lens or new body every time there was an announcement of something new, so yeah, after a while my lenses were old.

Eventually I finally arrived at a decision and after that one day took action that for me has worked out to be more than a good move, and that's what anyone involved in this not inexpensive hobby has to decide for him or herself -- we all have different priorities and different budgets.

What would you suggest my next purchase should be?

I went from a D750 to a Z6 and I'm very pleased with the change. I liked the 750 a lot, but I definitely prefer the Z6 for my photography.

I also replaced my D5500 "Hiking' camera with a Z50 and I'm even more pleased with that choice.

My apology I think I came across a bit strong and certainly that wasn't my intentions Nick, just wanted to find out if someone actually had some bad experiences.

A couple of my friends have Sonys.
One has Sony (FF) as his only system, 2nd has Sony (APS-C) as his lighter system to his D700 (and I almost bought that camera before he did).
Both say the Sony UI "stinks." But both are still using their Sonys. So I guess while the UI might "stink," it doesn't stink so bad for them to leave Sony.

Personally, having gotten used to the two command dials on the Nikon D7200, using a camera with only one command dial is painful.
This applies not only to Sony but also to dSLRs like the Nikon D5xxx and Canon T7i. Buttons and dials for frequently used functions is a lot easier than having to use a double function dial or worse, go into the menu to make those changes.

Real Name
Andrew
Just a bit of my perspective.

is the DSLR dying? Yes, I believe that everyone is looking full force to the mirrorless camera now. They finally see the future and mirrorless is where all the money is going.

Nikon came into the game late, and I think they feel that their f mount glass can be a viable option for many that want to switch to mirrorless and for those longer lenses they already have, especially the PF lenses.

Nikons been an underdog before. They were often written off early in the D1 and D2 days. It was only once they released the D3 that people realized what they had.

I’m one of those that doesn’t understand the people that are so negative on the Z system. I’m not a birder, but I do shoot sports. For a large selection of sports, I can shoot with the Z6 with no issue. Is it a D500/D5 level in auto focus?
No, but I never expected it to be.

do I believe that the rumored to be released new Z camera is going to be way better? Heck yes! Nikon just needs to catch up and they will.

my feeling is that mirrorless has been around a lot longer and there is not a lot of difference between any system. No one is going to put out anything mind blowing or crushing to another.

the internet /you tubers have done more damage with disinformation to all camera systems. I miss having an honest reviewer and not one beholden to a company because they don’t want to get banned from early reviews.

Nikon can pull through this, but they are going to have to bet it all on mirrorless, swing for the fences and make smart decisions.
It appears that Pentax will be the king of DSLRs, and they can succeed very well as the last niche flappy mirror camera maker if they want.

JLH

I can't make the most of my current DSLR camera's features and possibilities so why would I spend a lot for a new model? I know they have advantages over the DSLR but the type of work I do they don't offer enough more to justify the cost. My other issue is that if I did get one, which one? My D500 is more post used camera and I like it a lot! Would a Z50 be as rewarding to me? I see great photos taken with them but are they the type of photos I take? (Mostly not, BTW).
I believe mirrorless cameras are great. I do have a few non-DSLR cameras that are actually mirrorless and I have taken many great shots with them. But I am an old guys and have decades with DSLR cameras. Its hard to change when you know your gear, how to make it do what you want, and the replacement camera gear cost thousands.
I agree mirrorless is the growth area of future but I don't see it dead just yet.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
https://fstoppers.com/business/bcn-...sony-lead-while-olympus-remains-strong-544810

This article gives us a snapshot of the camera industry overall as we move into 2021...... The picture isn't so good for Nikon, nor has it been for a while.

A sentence from the section on MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras):

Nikon are still making DSLR cameras for the almost half of the interchangeable lens camera buyers who want them. They are a close second to Canon in this sector. Why does everybody forget they are the third overall player.

Olympus are a company that made huge losses in he imaging department, over a period of ten years, with just one profitable year. They have a tiny 3% of the camera market. They sell a lot of the more economic end of their range in Japan I believe. The runes seem to foretell the disappearance of this brand.

Finally a lot of leapfrogging has always gone on. When Nikon finally come out with a "high end" Z, then perhaps all this Nikon is dead stuff will change to "some other" brand is dead.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom