Are DSLRs a Dying Breed?

My Panasonic G3 has just about the same level of manual control as my D7000, including direct access buttons!

Cheers

Mike

yah, minus the buttons for exposure lock, af system adjustments, customizable function buttons, exposure compensation, metering modes, flash control, bracketing control, and its missing a mode dial.

i admit it is a step in the right direction, but it still lacks lots of the controls that i use.

and it is tiny! I dont really need a monster size dslr, but i do like the size of the D7000 :)

yah, minus the buttons for exposure lock, af system adjustments, customizable function buttons, exposure compensation, metering modes, flash control, bracketing control, and its missing a mode dial.

i admit it is a step in the right direction, but it still lacks lots of the controls that i use.

and it is tiny! I dont really need a monster size dslr, but i do like the size of the D7000 :)

Not so. AF system has a direct button; it has 2 customizable function buttons (of which one can be set to exposure lock); exposure comp is a press on the command dial - very nifty...

The touch screen interface is also very fast and accesses the most important settings.

Yes, it's missing a mode dial, but since you can press the mode dial to flip it from aperture to shutter speed (in M mode) or from aperture/shutter speed to exp. comp (in A or S mode), it's no biggie.

The GH2 has even more direct access buttons, but I find the G3 very fast and intuitive in operation. But that's just me :smile:

Cheers

Mike

I found the video thought provoking. The only mirrorless experience I have is with the Fuji X100. The OVF (optical view finder) and EVF (electronic view finder) on the X100 can overlay a histogram, leveling scale, etc. which is a pretty neat feature. The EVF is required when using macro, but I prefer the OVF if given the chance. The X100 was so small that I added a RRS grip and base plate to add something to grab on to the camera.

The X100 has an APS-C (DX) size sensor with pleasing color rendition and good low light capability. It is a great small package travel companion. That said I still prefer the D700 with 24-120/4 for travel as long as the added weight and bulk is not a problem. I like having both the X100 and D700 and it is hard for me to envision one camera that meets all needs.

Not so. AF system has a direct button; it has 2 customizable function buttons (of which one can be set to exposure lock); exposure comp is a press on the command dial - very nifty...

The touch screen interface is also very fast and accesses the most important settings.

Yes, it's missing a mode dial, but since you can press the mode dial to flip it from aperture to shutter speed (in M mode) or from aperture/shutter speed to exp. comp (in A or S mode), it's no biggie.

The GH2 has even more direct access buttons, but I find the G3 very fast and intuitive in operation. But that's just me :smile:

Cheers

Mike

A common misconception about the new, smaller mirrorless bodies.

Rich

I bet you keep that d700 for a reason.

Exactly, for the functions the NEX doesn't do as well. Your previous brick bat and the above seem to suggest DSLR' s have none. Do you actually have a working experience with mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras?

Rich

Exactly, for the functions the NEX doesn't do as well. Your previous brick bat and the above seem to suggest DSLR' s have none. Do you actually have a working experience with mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras?

Rich

What exactly is your problem with me having my own opinion?

Every single time i state an objective opinion on mirrorless cameras you seem to get all in a huff and have to come in charging around telling everyone why they are wrong.

How many times have i mentioned that i think they are good cameras? how many times have i acknowledged that im not against them, but that an EFV is just not refined enough for me to want one?

I can sit there and say 10 things i like about a Sony NEX, and ONE single thing against the sony nex, and i can pretty much count on you coming in attacking what i said claiming im on some sort of a rant about sony nex.

Tell me this, which mirrorless cameras are capable of bulb ramping? On the mirrorless cameras with proprietary hot shoes how am i supposed to monitor the exposure speed? Thats why i have a canon. Do you know what bulb ramping is without running a google search? Maybe i dont shoot the same things you shoot.

is it OK for me to have my own opinion about the current lineups without being attacked by you?

No doubt they will try to screw up cameras with electronic VF. But the is a very long way to go to make them as good. I have looked at few and put them down really fast, NEX 5 was the last.

Interesting thread... I can actually picture (no pun) a NEX7 replacing my M9... Hoping a third party will develop an M mount for the NEX7.

Interesting thread... I can actually picture (no pun) a NEX7 replacing my M9... Hoping a third party will develop an M mount for the NEX7.

There is. :biggrin: I have no experience with the M9 other than knowing it is loved my many owners here. Take your time.

Rich

There is no doubt that "DSLRs" in the strict sense of the word will go away. I'd be surprised if in 5 years there would be any camera still offered with a moving mirror. But regardless of that, the term DSLR may remain with the general public. I.e. look at the Sony A77 which is no DSLR (no reflex mirror) but it is sold everywhere as "DSLR".

Latest threads

Top Bottom