Are the .NEF files different from D90 and D7000?

I shot raw (.NEF) with my D90 for years and never had a problem importing them to Lightroom. I'm currently using LR version 2.3, and I use the option "copy as .DNG" for my raw files. And like I said, I have no problem with the D90 files, but I can't get LR to copy and inport the D7000 files.
Anyone have a clue?
thanks,

Every RAW file from every camera model is a different format. This is not exclusive to Nikon.

So the answer to your question is yes. It looks like you're due for a software update. Alternatively, Adobe makes a "DNG converter" which is free. If you download the latest one, it will be able to convert your D7000 RAW file (.NEF) to a DNG which your older Adobe Lightroom should be able to handle.

Every RAW file from every camera model is a different format. This is not exclusive to Nikon.

So the answer to your question is yes. It looks like you're due for a software update. Alternatively, Adobe makes a "DNG converter" which is free. If you download the latest one, it will be able to convert your D7000 RAW file (.NEF) to a DNG which your older Adobe Lightroom should be able to handle.

This is 100% correct!!:wink:

Well, I went ahead and got LR3. I wish I'd have gotten it the day it came out. It took a few hours to upgrade my catalogs to the new format, but worth the wait. Several really big improvements...
I really like that not only will it handle my new D7000 .NEF's, but also imports my video files, which LR2 wouldn't. It doesn't really let me do anything with the video, but at least it cuts a step out of my workflow (importing the video in Windows).
I also like the "Publish to Flickr" feature. Haven't used it yet, but will also cut a step out of my workflow in many cases.
Looking forward to finding other new features that will speed me up and give me more time to be out SHOOTING!

Well, I went ahead and got LR3. I wish I'd have gotten it the day it came out. It took a few hours to upgrade my catalogs to the new format, but worth the wait. Several really big improvements...
I really like that not only will it handle my new D7000 .NEF's, but also imports my video files, which LR2 wouldn't. It doesn't really let me do anything with the video, but at least it cuts a step out of my workflow (importing the video in Windows).
I also like the "Publish to Flickr" feature. Haven't used it yet, but will also cut a step out of my workflow in many cases.
Looking forward to finding other new features that will speed me up and give me more time to be out SHOOTING!

The real game changer, as Geoff notes, is the rendering of the RAW files, especially the noise reduction. I find that I do not need an external program or plug-in for NR. The LR3 NR is that good.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom