Are the new Haswell procs really worth it?

Been curiously looking at the new Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA on the NewEgg site with much itching to upgrade. This would be a major upgrade for me as I'm using a hand-me-down i7 920. Any MB recommendations from people that are actually using this proc? Thanks.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My next machine (next year) will certainly have one, but I can't see myself upgrading my i7 920 or 950. They were 10 times faster than what they replaced. The new CPUs are 2 to 3 times faster again.

It all depends on how much of the time you are waiting for the CPU?

All the i7 processors are so fast that I am very rarely waiting. Today, unusually, I was converting some audio and video to different formats and had to wait 45 minutes. That might have been only 15 minutes with a Haswell processor. But I went and did something else in the meantime, so it didn't matter. When I'm editing photos I never have to wait at all, so it would be a waste of money.

My next machine (next year) will certainly have one, but I can't see myself upgrading my i7 920 or 950. They were 10 times faster than what they replaced. The new CPUs are 2 to 3 times faster again.

It all depends on how much of the time you are waiting for the CPU?

All the i7 processors are so fast that I am very rarely waiting. Today, unusually, I was converting some audio and video to different formats and had to wait 45 minutes. That might have been only 15 minutes with a Haswell processor. But I went and did something else in the meantime, so it didn't matter. When I'm editing photos I never have to wait at all, so it would be a waste of money.

Thanks! That is the answer I was looking for.

BTW> I finally did get a laptop. It in a new used Dell that I got for a great price so that chapter is closed.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom