Are there two versions of the Tamron 28-75?

There are two versions.

1) One with aperture ring that does NOT have the BIM. IMHO this is the superior lens as screw drive version that I have seems less finicky with focus. Lighting fast on D700/D3s, almost as fast on my D7K.

2) The newer one with BIM. I never liked the focus on this, it works, slow in low light. This is the newer more expensive one, but from what I could tell IQ was same.

It is a decent lens, can't be beat, not a 24-70 nikkor but far cheaper, lighter and I'd say 95% of the IQ except the corners and wideopen if you have to have edge image sharpness wide open.

Was looking at one with IF and I think one without it.

Isn't this one screw driven and that means I need something like a d80 or d90?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-AF-28-75mm-F-2-8-XR-Di-LD-Aspherical-Lens-/120727023789?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c1be430ad#ht_500wt_1158

I ask because they're pretty cheap and look like a good lens.

so that one in the auction is the screw driven one right?

sorry. i re-read it. no bim. thanks.

it's a really good deal on the nikon mount. seems less desirable to nikon users.

The picture in the ebay action is the BIM version, that is a pretty good price for that. IMHO the non-BIM with aperture ring is more desirable as the high end bodies have pretty good motors to drive the lens. I never felt the focus was wanting.

Why not desirable? Only others can chime in. I liked the Tamron alot, enough that I sold my 24-70 and used funds for other stuff, namely the 24-120F4 far more flexible. There is a debate in several places about 24-70 versus 24-120 nikkors. I chose 24-120F4 and for a few hundred more got the Tamron. So for the price of a 24-70 get two lens.

so that one in the auction is the screw driven one right?

sorry. i re-read it. no bim. thanks.

it's a really good deal on the nikon mount. seems less desirable to nikon users.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom