Are we all alone over here

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Jarrell, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I see we don't have a lot of traffic yet in this side of the forum, but here's a couple of recent standard type shots I've done...
    the first was. of course, part of a wedding and the second was a friend that happen to drop by. That'll teach her, won't it.. :)
    Jarrell

2. Absolutely wonderful portraits. The wedding one is lovely. Your lighting technique is flawless.

3. Well Jarrell I'm one of your groupies that just kind of follows you around. Love these images and your lighting is handled very well as always.

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Jarrell, wonderful pictures. I'm sure everyone here
    would love to hear more about the lighting setup
    you used for these. Please give us the tech side so
    we may learn. :)

5. Not for long. You have a talent for drawing a crowd, Jarrell 8) .

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awww "The Man O Light"

beautiful as always Jarrell

Thank You for sharing
    Gale

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Why you choose to use flat lighting on the 2nd lady?

That bridal shot is mega dramatic, and SO well executed! But, I'm curious to know why you chose to use flat lighting on the 2nd lady? No, I'm not syaing the light is flat! I'm saying there doesn't seem to be any shadow modeling on her face. Is this something you're experimenting with? She does have a great smile though!

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Light diagram

This is a light diagram for the bride shot and it's pretty much self explanatory, I suppose. I wanted a 'short' light setup because the young lady has a fairly broad face and that type lighting seems to work better for that. It's a little more dramatic also.
    the flag beside the softbox was a black cloth draped over a small light stand.
    The light setup for the other lady was a simple standard setup with the softbox sitting at 45 degrees to camera left and the fill light beside the camera and up high in the beauty dish. A backdrop light was on floor behind her aimed up at backdrop and hairlight was same as above diagram. The lighting was kept 'light and airy', almost like a high key lighting setup, to help minimize shadows etc. You're right though, it could be just a tad too light and airy... :)
    Two programs I use quite extensively are Photokit and Define Selective. Photokit for it's 'burn' tools to create darker vignettes as on the bride, and Define Selective which is a noise reduction program. I usually select the 'skin' mode in Define Selective, use a graphics tablet to carefully touch up the skin (ONLY) areas, then reduce the opacity of the layer to around 40%.
    As far as having a studio, I'm doing away with it and packing up the lights to make room for my other hobby...
    View attachment 6774
    you have to guess what it is.. :)
    I hope this is some help. I'm not walking away from this type photography, it's just that unless you're in business... which I don't want to be... a studio (to me) is a waste of space. I'm still going to keep an open area for setting up the lights when I want to use them, albiet a smaller area in the room
    Jarrell

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Hi Jarrell,

The first picture is a well done photo in my eyes. The skin tone blends in well with the background. The bride must have adored this photo of herself.

13. Cappy

Cappy Guest

Jarrell your work never fails. You may not remember me but we used to yuck it up over at dpreview back in 2002. You were trying to justify to the missus and make up your own mind about buying a 5700 and now I see your shooting away with a D100.

I went away from DP and went over to PhotoshopCafe picking up and sharing some photomanip techniques and then I found you here, so I joined up.

Looks like a great spot to learn and share. Love the engine. Your secret has always been your ability to control your lighting environment and if I remember right it wasn't with a $50,000 studio setup either.

Thanks for sharing and nice to find you again.

Cappy

14. Hi, Jarrell.

That's a lovely portrait of the bride. Thanks for the great info on light setup. I know almost zilch about studio setup as that's not where my interests lie (and photography is mostly just a "hobby" for me), but it's always great to learn just in case as I do occasionally get people asking me about doing portraits -- and I keep thinking about buying some strobes, etc. as a result.

And yeah, I tend to agree that the 2nd one might be a tad too "light and airy" though it seems a minor thing and may vary according to tastes. I must admit I generally prefer higher contrast anyway, so...

Thanks again for sharing...

Best regards,

_Man_

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Beautiful shot. I'll definately have to try something like that.