1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Are you a Neat(image)nick?...added an image.

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by sjlarue, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    ***edit*** I added an image on post #8 :biggrin:***edit***

I probably going to start a war between the Ninjas and the Neatnicks BUT I don't like to spend money until I cause a little carnage...:biggrin:...

On my previous thread about croping the Egrets, Andreasb mentioned a piece of noise reduction software called NeatImage. Their website is http://www.neatimage.com/.

Here is a close up example of a recent pic I posted. All I did was the free version of Neat Image, no ACR noise reduction I did do some pre sharpening and cropping and all of the other Fluffernutter in ACR, but all noise reduction I intentionally left blank..

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    trialcopy_2.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/11.0    1/125s    ISO 1000

I also downloaded the free version of Noise Ninja; WAY more difficult for what I needed. And it has an added "little" feature, because it's free, it adds a grid:

trialnncopy.

I haven't used any "plug-in" noise reduction software before much less bought it...but this one I just might, just so I can use it in 16 bit mode.
    I am going to do more trials with other images. But I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Has anyone else at Nikon Cafe' used this program?
    Any good/bad reports/examples?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Gaius

Gaius

Jul 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Neat Image

I've used NI for several years and think it's a great package. Its ability to remove noise and retain detail is far above NX2. The software also offers great adjustability to solve the more difficult problems. Vendor support on the NI forum is also very good and the upgrade policy is very economical. I have been upgrading for three years w/o any fee so far. Although, no major features have been added either.

I use the Pro edition for its 16-bit capability.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Jim. I was truely amazed at how well it did.

4. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Neatimage Rocks!!! I use it and Love it.. No NN for me!

5. I have used NI for several years and while it achieves good results, especially when you fine-tune the settings manually, I hated how slow it was.

About two years ago I switched to Noiseware Pro and have not looked back - the automatic settings work much better than NI (don't always have the time for fine tuning), it does not need a sufficiently large uniform area to detect the noise characeristics, and it is at least 3 times as fast. I think even detail protection is a bit better but that might be superficial.

Cheers

6. I have been using NI for a few years, more so when I had my D200; but admittedly, not to its fullest.

Does anyone have any good resources on how to get the most out of it? Aside from the user guide, of course.

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks for the endorsement mike.:biggrin:

I've downloaded a trial of it Harry. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

User guide? What's a user guide.:biggrin: It's funny I never read the users guides because I got burned out on reading them when my first footstool a kaypro, the first "portable" computer was new. It just became easier to watch a video or figure it out for myself.

Now some of the manuals read better and are less technical so they are quick and easy reads. Then there are the ones that are not edited by someone that isn't the program creator and small steps are forgotten.

-

I really haven't used the in camera NR on my D300 because It seemed to go to far. Plus I shoot raw and I like the control. Do you use it much?

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Had a little fun. OOB!

:biggrin:messed around with noiseware a little and it looks promising as well but I couldn't help doing an OOB on their grid.:biggrin::

oobcopy.

9. Not too much, I think it comes on over ISO 800 anyway (or somewhere north of there).

I need to get a better understanding of the terminology used in the controls, luminosity, etc...

10. Wow, that is very impressive!!! And I just love your OOB, heheheeee :tongue:

11. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks.:biggrin:

12. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Thanks for this advice, guys.
    I bought the Noiseware bundle and the results of the first run (all default values) can be seen here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    I use NI. I chose NI it because at the time it was the most established noise reduction program. Not the most intuitive program, but I like the results when used with a masking layer where I can paint it in as needed. BTW, it runs much faster in its current version than it did a few years ago.

14. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Glenn. I really likeing it as well. Ive had to delve into the advanced settings tab for an image that had a lot of grass in it and it helped that I could mask out the subject and just focus on the BG and then do the same for the subject.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.