1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Are you ready for some flag football!!??

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Aug 22, 2008.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    First games of the season yesterday. All with D300, 300 2.8 and 1.4 TC. I had some nice, light cloud cover for most of the game. :biggrin:

The first shot is my pick of the night, maybe the season. :wink:

[​IMG]
    (looks like a young Bret Favre)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I first got to the field of the game I was scheduled to shoot, I ran into a parent who is one of my best baseball customers. She has orederd many shots of her two sons the last two seasons. One son was in yesterday's game(below). his little brother plays in the K-2 league, which I start shooting in three weeks.

[​IMG]

:biggrin:

Thanks for looking.

2. great shooting Jim, seems like yesterday when I was seeing your flag football from last year...looking forward to me.

3. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    If these were done with a D300, I'm assuming the D700 should perform equally as well in similar conditions. When shooting this type of movement, what would you say your percentage of keepers are?

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    These are excellent, Jim!!!

5. That really looks like a lot of fun, Jim. Easier to get the face shots anyway. Anything football right now is just working me up for the start of the college season next week (tomorrow actually....DII Valdosta State & Fort Valley State...for those with Direct TV).

Sorry I got off topic. Very nice work as always, Jim.

6. nice shots, james
    i enjoyed these a lot

thanks for sharing

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Solid series !!! ... i like the exposure ..... you guys on the east have no idea how lucky you are to get nice light like that lol ..... looking forward to seeing more

8. By the looks of it, he was shooting this in portrait. It depends more on the photographer, than the lens and camera combo for that. If you're great at tracking, you're probably going to be able to keep 80% of your shots. If you're picky on a "keeper" and delete anything that you don't like, you might be around 30%. All depends on how well you track I find though. I usually flag my stuff as a 5 if I think it's good enough for a parent, not good enough for me, and then a 4 if I think it's good for both, and a 5 if I find it great. Even with the 1.4, the 300 tracks quick, and the D300 motor moves more than fast enough, even for collegiate sports.

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    excellent serires Jim, #1's a corker alright

10. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Chris.

My keeper rate is much higher than it was with my D200. Around 85%. Not all the ones deleted are OOF.

Thanks, Dennis.

Thanks, Mason. Looking forward to your shots from the game.

Thank you, Greg.

Thanks, Topher. I cheated, and used manual most of the time, until the sun came out.:wink: Forecast for today's soccer..cloudy. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yep.

Thanks, Darren.

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Awesome faces Jim. It's getting ready to become real fun around the sports forum..

I can't wait.

12. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Rod. I agree. It's going to be busy here. :biggrin:

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very well done Jim, the image quality if very nice. Tight crops sure expose the faces nicely and each of your images is sharp as can be. I really like this series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.