Are you ready for some....

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 16, 2005.

1. .....cheerleading? Competitive cheerleading, that is! :eek:

We're just gearing up for another season! My daughter's team from last year won 5 national titles and finished the season undefeated!! So the pressure is on for this year. We leave the day after Christmas for Nashville to attend one of the largest Nationals competitions this year.

In preparation, the gym had a dress rehearsal day where the teams performed in full uniform/makeup/hair for parents and friends. Then the gym participated in 2 different Christmas parades. These shots are from those events.

I'm somewhat anxious to see how the D2x will perform in these venues. I'm concerned about having to shoot at ISO1600 and deciding which lenses to use. I'd like to try to make side $ doing this but this first one will be just a test. If all goes well, I may offer them for sale to the parents.

The squad shots are using a coworker's 17-35/f2.8. The others with the 85/f1.4

Here's my daughter's stunt group during warm up. The flyer(girl in the air) is performing a skill called a "scale". She's extremely flexible and a fantastic flyer!!
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the entire squad. These flyers are performing a "heel stretch". Some are more flexible than others. The flyer front and center is in the pic following this one and my daughter's stunt group is the one on the far right.
    [​IMG]

Here's my daughter and her boyfriend's sister (flyer from previous shot) taken outside after the dress rehearsal.
    [​IMG]

And here's a slice in the life of a competitive cheerleader. We go through a can of hairspray for each 2-day competition. Dad is fortunate to get to roll hair for about an hour prior to each competition. He had to learn a technique to get them perfect as the coach is very particular. The gym has a reputation for having "big hair". Here's my daughter hamming it up prior to the Christmas parade.
    [​IMG]

Can you tell I'm getting geared up for the season? Hopefully I'll be able to post some shots from the competition as we get into season. It'll be a fun year!!

2. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Great series of shots Kevin, looks like the proud dad has a long season of PP ahead of him. Hopefully you may get some better light to work with. Look forward to the rest of the seasons posts!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice images Kevin.
    Not the easiest sport to shoot.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Man I am always ready for some pictures of some cute girls...

:biggrin:

Oh wait, I am old enough to be there father... That makes me sound like a dirty old man...

:eek:

Ok, I will just enjoy your photography skills.. I promise...

:Bohoo:

:biggrin:

5. Not at all, Dave! It's hard not to be affected by some of these girls. They're a very athletic breed!!

6. Thanks Chaz and Gale! I'm hoping for a moderate level of success as this will probably be the last year my daughter cheers. It's a challenging sport to shoot but fortunately I know the routine very well and that helps to anticipate the shots I'll take. My goal is to get their toe touch sequence at the peak of the jump...hyper-extended legs, and all!!