Arg! I hate the wind!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbguy, Jul 7, 2008.

1. it tipped over my flash stand, and i guess i would say i'm lucky because i had my umbrella on it. but still... it broke two of my umbrellas! never set an outdoor studio unless you got someone to old the stand or got some heavy duty sand bags. sigh, there goes $40 dollars.

2. papah

papah

May 5, 2007
    Seattle
    Agreed. My shooting buddy and I spent the day last week trying to shoot macros in the wind. The only subject that wouldn't move was tree bark!

It's hard enough to get good weather in Seattle...

3. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Andrew, I use my camera bag to weigh down the stand. Mine has bungee cords attached to it which make it perfect to looping around a release clasp on the stand.

4. sigh, i shouldve known. doh! i guess i'll learn from my mistakes.

5. Same thing happened to me when I was shooting a car. Had a guy there whos car i shot as well and asked him to hold the stand he said ok turned around and walked away just as a gust of wind blew it over, flash was fine umbrella not so good.

6. You would think wind would not be a fact when shooting photos but I have heard nightmares about it. Sorry to hear about your accident, and the other that have posted here too (I tried doing macros in the wind....not much fun!), camera bags as weight are a great idea since I am not lugging around a sandbag or two when I go shooting.

7. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The wind is my biggest problem as well. And it always has it's timing perfect. As soon as I compose and focus.....bam....a gust. I now am amazed when it doesn't blow when I'm ready to shoot.

8. You need to see this thread by Uncle Frank. He built a simple stake down kit that may be of help to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. It is a verified principle of modern physics that the simple act of even THINKING of pressing a camera shutter release button sets off a chain of global atmospheric events events resulting in wind. This is obviously related, or derived from the "butterfly theory" (part of chaos theory): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

WE ARE POWERLESS TO STOP IT!!!!!!:wink:

10. Been there, done that. The neighbors thought I was building something I was swearing so often. :wink:

11. FUNNY:smile:

Hay you need wind?? Just call me, I will come and 'pretend' to shoot dragons, I can guarantee a force 10 gale:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.