1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Arista Premium 400 Film

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by mhcfires, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I got a few rolls of that new Arista Premium 400 Film from Freestyle. Also got a few rolls of the 100 speed stuff. I have been trying to get some pictures of my cat, but Meggie is very uncooperative when you try and photograph her. Almost as bad as my late wife. Used the Nikon N80, Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lens, SB800 flash. D76 1:1. I think I'll use the other roll on something more cooperative, like a rock or some such. This cat is driving me nuts. I should probably give her some benadryl or some such to mellow her out before trying to photograph her.

2890874869_d725337da5_o.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What a cool cat!

So how did you like the film Michael? The grain displayed in your photograph is quite nice - it follows the density well. I have read elsewhere that this film behaves very similarly to trix. In fact it was suggested that it may be re-labeled trix. What do you think?

3. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I have to agree, it DOES seem to be Tri-X. I like the grain, was very happy with the film, just not too happy with the cat. I like the grays, Meggie is a silver-gray Persian, I think the film renders her coloring well. I have posted color pictures of her, but the B&W really shows off her beautiful coloring. I have a roll of the 100 speed film, which is rumored to be a relabeled Plus-X. I'll soup it later today and try and post scans later.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What I did was to put a roll of trix and a roll of Arista Premium on separate reels and develop them in the same tank. They appeared very similar (even down to the markings on the film and the shape of the leader), however the Arista may have been a tiny bit contrastier. But just a tiny bit, which could have been the subject matter and lighting. Here are my contact sheets from my experiment:

Arista:
    http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/photos/film/contactsheets/sheet090808b.jpg

Trix:
    http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/photos/film/contactsheets/sheet090808a.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.